I cannot find neither Fies nor Files within a untouched V7.6.0.Fies is a Portuguese word. My 7.6 menu has a selection Files, just above that for gedit.
Now starting with cheatcode "lang=en" I can see it.
Going back to what was hinted at in post #8.
I took a fresh, unmodified liveUSB of Knoppix 7.6.0, i.e. having gedit 3.14 and nautilus 3.18.
I did a reload of Synaptic . Synaptic said an upgrade of gedit to 3.18 was available. Did the upgrading.
Everything is smooth for gedit, either from the Menu shortcut or from a Terminal.
Last edited by philo; 12-05-2015 at 07:33 PM.
@philo
Thanks for the update regarding the upgrade of gedit to v3.18. For me as a casual computer user, the post #7 is already a fix as I don't do either GNOME, gedit or nautilus. In effect, the ls command and vim are my all-round file browser and text editor, respectively; gedit is merely the fallback of leafpad and is used to check if I screw up the GTK-related stuff. However, I definitely will put the upgrade of gedit on my to-do list just for the sake of compatibility. Thumbs-up!
You can also download the relevant i386 packages from one of the mirrors listed in debian.org. Then open them with gdebi to install.
For the unmodified liveUSB, Synaptic itself did offer upgrades for gedit and gedit-common . Surprisng, but it did. I had "consider recoomended as dependencies" unchecked in Synaptic Preferences, maybe that helped.
For the liveUSB which I had used previously for the downgrading and "fixing" operations, I removed gedit packages 3.14, nautilus packages 3.14 and gir1.2-xxx 3.14 with Synaptic. Then went to debian.org to fetch gedit 3.18, nautilus 3.18 and gir1.2-xxx 3.18 for retropedaling. The end results are the same.
For gedit, note that gir1.2-gtksource-3.0 must be upgraded to 3.18 before installing gedit 3.18. Synaptic did that itself for the unmodified lieUSB.
Last edited by philo; 12-06-2015 at 11:49 AM.
I'm pretty sure this note applies to me.Download Page for nautilus_3.14.1-2_i386.deb on Intel x86 machines
If you are running Debian, it is strongly suggested to use a package manager like aptitude or
synaptic to download and install packages, instead of doing so manually via this website.
I feel quite comfortable with gdebi after reading this:
https://screenshots.debian.net/package/gdebi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#GDEBI

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99
New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00
Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00
Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$30.00
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00