Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Read only

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Read only

    I need help. I would like to know in simple steps or with a simple explanation what should I do if I am actually using a pen drive with knoppix from the hard drive and I want this folder to become my knoppix cd/dvd as read-only (maintaining what I did with persistence: network, programs,etc). My goal is to use a read-only knoppix only. Can you explain to me the steps?. Must I make an image of the folder and then record it in cd/dvd?. is it enough?. Thanks a lot.

  2. #2
    Hi,

    If the aim is to run knoppix (including personal tweaks) in read-only mode, it's worth trying to wrap up the content of persistent image/partition into a compressed filesystem by using the create_compressed_fs command. An example can be found in the following link: https://lists.debian.org/debian-knop.../msg00005.html

    In case of KNOPPIX 7.4.x, it's noteworthy that the /etc/fstab file needs to be absent from any of the compressed KNOPPIX files (KNOPPIX[0-9]) in order to let NTFS partitions be mountable by using PCManFM. This tinny glitch, however, is ineffective when there is a persistent image (possibly including persistent partition) stacking on the top.

  3. #3
    Thanks a lot superman. I will try it when I can

  4. #4
    In my case I want to do it in Knoppix 7.2 CD, it's what I normally use.
    I can only see in /KNOPPIX-DATA: etc, home, lost+found, opt, root, usr and var.
    So, as I read in the link you posted, is this what I must do? (because in that folder I don't have bin, sbin and the others):
    sudo mkisofs -R -U etc home lost+found opt root usr var | create_compressed_fs -B 131072 -m - - > /tmp/KNOPPIX1

    When it's done, must I copy the KNOPPIX1 file to DVD-directory folder before making the iso?.
    I don't know how it will work when I boot if I only added a file: KNOPPIX1
    Thanks again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00