Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: knoppix 7.4.2 /init: exec: line 1049: /sbin/init: Input/output error

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, davidpiney.

    A few comments and suggestions for your consideration.

    1. dd copy makes an exact copy of things; if you dd a LiveDVD
    onto a usb, I think
    you may create a read-only device, which won't save things.

    2. From your read-only dvd or a read-only usb, you should be able to
    use the built-in 'Install to Flash Disk' function to create a working
    read-write LiveUSB, preferably using a fresh usb as the target.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Greetings, davidpiney.

    A few comments and suggestions for your consideration.

    1. dd copy makes an exact copy of things; if you dd a LiveDVD
    onto a usb, I think
    you may create a read-only device, which won't save things.

    2. From your read-only dvd or a read-only usb, you should be able to
    use the built-in 'Install to Flash Disk' function to create a working
    read-write LiveUSB, preferably using a fresh usb as the target.
    Thanks for offering help utu. I should have written more clearly that I used the dd program to overwrite the flashdrive before copying a preinstalled (archived) version of 7.4.2 to the now cleaned flashdrive. I hope that's the right proceedure to get a new flashdrive up and running quickly? It's worked great since I began using knoppix, so I suspect that I picked up a bug somewhere. It puzzles me that I was unable to overwrite the bug with dd though. After doing a zero dd to clean the flashdrive and a dd copy of the archived working copy of knoppix 7.4.2, the flashdrive still fails to boot with the same error. Julian says that NSA achieves their control through controling the bios, and it seems in this case a likely suspect. But I'm way too much newbie to have even a clue about understanding that puzzle. Interesting subject though. At least with Knoppix I've got a chance to keep my machine running. Otherwise it's largely hopeless it seems to me. God bless Knoppix, and good neighbours generally: the working voice of true democracy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99