-

Originally Posted by
utu
Greetings, davidpiney.
A few comments and suggestions for your consideration.
1. dd copy makes an exact copy of things; if you dd a LiveDVD
onto a usb, I think
you may create a read-only device, which won't save things.
2. From your read-only dvd or a read-only usb, you should be able to
use the built-in 'Install to Flash Disk' function to create a working
read-write LiveUSB, preferably using a fresh usb as the target.
Thanks for offering help utu. I should have written more clearly that I used the dd program to overwrite the flashdrive before copying a preinstalled (archived) version of 7.4.2 to the now cleaned flashdrive. I hope that's the right proceedure to get a new flashdrive up and running quickly? It's worked great since I began using knoppix, so I suspect that I picked up a bug somewhere. It puzzles me that I was unable to overwrite the bug with dd though. After doing a zero dd to clean the flashdrive and a dd copy of the archived working copy of knoppix 7.4.2, the flashdrive still fails to boot with the same error. Julian says that NSA achieves their control through controling the bios, and it seems in this case a likely suspect. But I'm way too much newbie to have even a clue about understanding that puzzle. Interesting subject though. At least with Knoppix I've got a chance to keep my machine running. Otherwise it's largely hopeless it seems to me. God bless Knoppix, and good neighbours generally: the working voice of true democracy.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Western Digital Red WD60EFRX-68MYMN1 6 TB,Internal,5400 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive
$179.99