Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: USB boot device fails intermittently

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    50

    USB boot device fails intermittently

    Running 7.4.2 on a USB boot device.
    The whole thing works perfectly time after time after time ...
    ... until it doesn't, and the message "Boot error" comes up.
    In the past I've tried chkdsk /f or dd-ing a library copy of sector 1 or even defrag (crazy, it takes forever) but now I just sigh and reformat.
    I know USB devices have "lifetimes" but these are intermittent recoverable failures, not deaths.
    The device is used 2,3,4,... times a day. The failures occur maybe 4 times a year. I am not aware of any consistent lead-up to failure.
    Anybody else getting the same sort of behaviour?
    Fergus

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    You do not say what type and brand of USB key you are using. US keys are not all born equal.

    What about getting a new one?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    50
    >> What about getting a new one?

    Good question - sorry, I should have said. The device is a super-expensive 200G Sandisk micro-SD in my phone, partitioned as 8G FAT32 + 192G exFAT.
    I jut plug the phone in via USB cable and away I go.
    (So I only have one device, containing EVERYTHING for my cyber-life, and can rove workstations. Everything I need at home/ work including archived material lives on 192G, admittedly just approaching capacity. I'm not interested in music or video which is why this can be achieved, and it's also why I don't want to lose the amazing convenience of this architecture. I'll upgrade the chip if Sandisk offer greater capacity, but just a straight 200G replacement would feel very expensive and not really necessary at this time.)
    Thanks for comment. Still don't understand the reason for the error. That partition has almost no usage at all - and only read, not write.
    Fergus

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    So you are not talking about a common USB flash drive but rather about a micro-SD card.

    I know nothing about the reliability of such cards. I hope someone ellse can help you with an answer to your question.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    50
    More of the same today. Yet another "Boot error" on startup. I will write this while I reformat the card as a KNOPPIX bootable drive.
    If I cannot actually understand and defeat this phenomenon, I would at least like to keep track of time-between-failures and number-of-successes-between-failures.
    Is there a line that I could introduce into syslinux.cfg that would be enacted exactly once at a successful boot and that would augment an increasing "record" of successful boots?
    I guess I mean something like
    date >> /mnt-system/boot/record.txt
    that would build a growing historical file one line at a time.
    But I do not know the syntax that would achieve this. Can anybody help?
    Thank you, in growing frustration.
    Fergus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung PM43H 43

Samsung PM43H 43" Commercial Display READ

$300.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor

$41.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+ 5G  Tablet 11” 128GB Memory /6gb Ram gray picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+ 5G Tablet 11” 128GB Memory /6gb Ram gray

$190.00