-
Trying to migrate to Linux. Problems on the way. Please help
I've been trying for the last week to leave Windows (except for gaming) and embrace Linux. Unfortunately, all my efforts so far have been in vain.
I've tried Mandrake. But sadly, Mandrake doesn't seem to support my Motorola USB SB4100 cable modem. Furthermore, it fails to get my monitor's refresh rate, despite all my messing with XF86Config-4 files.
I've tried pure Debian. Couldn't get past XFree86 saying : "No screens found." Besides, it couldn't detect my USB mouse.
Along comes Knoppix CD. My USB devices work, my refresh rate is tolerable - 85Hz, and the only real problem is with my SB Audigy sound card. In short, Knoppix so far has been very nice to me.
However, when I try knx-hdinstall, the script runs without any troubles, Debian is installed and all seems well. Then I reboot and get a stream of digits that represents knx-install messing up the lilo.conf, which is no biggie and is quickly fixed with my handy boot floppy and the pain in the ass that is vi. The really sad part begins when I try running Konqueror - no connection. Usbview gives me something about usbdevfs, which wasn't on ramdisk even before the install, but my mouse works. However, with Knoppix booted from CD usbview detects all devices, including my mouse. Without Internet I can not find a way to fix my other problems without ackward rebootings.
Can you please help me with the following problems. If you don't I won't quit Linux, but I will be in a great pain while wasting days or weeks that could be spent doing less frustrating things.
1. Why is my USB modem and the whole USB kaboodle gone after knx-install
2. How can I preserve the CD boot settings and then put them on root after install? Which files do I need?
3. Did you, after installing Knoppix, had a lilo.conf file inproperly configured? I have two disks: hda (one partition) has Win2k; hdb (4 parts) has Linux + Swap + 2 FAT32 parts. lilo after hd install and the choice to install it into mbr, has boot=hdb instead of hda. It's easy to fix, but its existance is a cause for concern.
4. X-Windows has my monitor at the following: 1024x768@69/85
Windows2K has it at 1024x768@81/100. How can I fix it? 85 (or maybe 69 for horizontal) is too flickery for me. Xvidtune makes me very uneasy, since I have no idea what those numbers mean.
5. What files and programs run at boot time? I'm very interested in finding the configs for the frame buffer, which, like X-Windows, has my refresh way too low, as low as 60Hz.
6. How can I fix my sound? I think my problem is with ALSA, though I have no clue what ALSA is.
Hardware includes:
USB Motorola SB4100 Cable Modem
Audigy XGamer soundcard
Phillips Brilliance 107P Monitor
Geforce 3
Thanks for reading my long and poorly written post. Now gimme asnwers 
Juozas Gaigalas
P.s. What is a modprobe?
Similar Threads
-
By sdalek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 03:48 AM
-
By dpatel512 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-30-2004, 12:34 AM
-
By jmario in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-10-2004, 08:42 PM
-
By asmodath1701 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-16-2003, 12:23 AM
-
By cowmamba in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-13-2003, 01:20 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99