Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix 7.6.1 runs my old hardware better than Debian

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix 7.6.1 runs my old hardware better than Debian

    Hello folks, I am still have a ways to go on learning the ins and outs of linux. I have been experimenting on a very old PC with Debian Jessie and also Knoppix. Knoppix rocks BTW. Not sure if this question is best in this forum but I will give it a shot. Where Debian fails and Knoppix succeeds is in the hard drive performance. The hardware is a built in IDE controller on the motherboard (VIA 82C686A) and there are 2 PATA hard drives, one runs pretty well under both OS's the other there is just a world of difference. With Debian I get lots of DMA errors and soft resets. As far as I can tell it is not a hardware prob as the hardware works correctly with WinXP and Knoppix. So I have been researching and tried everything I can imagine even built some kernels trying to duplicate the kernel configuration of knoppix with 4.26, 4.3, and 4.4 source still can't get it working with my regular linux installation. An lspci -v indicates pata_via is the module used for the controller in both Linux's. I don't see any special boot commands other than libata.force=noncq being used, and that does not result in the desired performance on the Debian install. I am taking about almost 2 times better performance with knoppix. Its a little hard for me to tell what the kernel is doing under knoppix since the hard drive / scsi subsystems are built-in on the kernel (and I don't know how to figure it out, lol)

    Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

    J.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    ... As far as I can tell it is not a hardware prob as the hardware works correctly with WinXP and Knoppix. .... I am taking about almost 2 times better performance with knoppix. ...

    Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

    Use Knoppix?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by dwstarke View Post
    ...

    Use Knoppix?
    That was humorous, lol, but not too helpful. I do use knoppix as my live cd. The machine in question is set up as a firewall/NAT router and I want to have a regular full installation on it. And besides, I am on a mission. Not giving up, no sir, lol. So I am going to add all the modprobe conf info from knoppix next.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4
    After doing some more looking under the hood of knoppix, I now believe the better hdd performance is due to it using the BFQ I/O scheduler instead of CFQ or because it loads the open-iscsi driver, or both. Going to check those out.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by jimz93 View Post
    That was humorous, lol, but not too helpful. I do use knoppix as my live cd. The machine in question is set up as a firewall/NAT router and I want to have a regular full installation on it. And besides, I am on a mission. Not giving up, no sir, lol. So I am going to add all the modprobe conf info from knoppix next.
    I have used remastered Knoppix with Poor Man's HD Installs for all kinds of servers for years, never been able to understand the need for regular full installations when performance isn't critical - and Knoppix often performs pretty well. For server use, I have often run without persistent store, with all necessary configurations in the cloop/squashfs image.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Qty.8 Samsung 16GB 2RX4 Pc4 2133P  M393A2G40DB0-CPB0Q Ram Memory picture

Qty.8 Samsung 16GB 2RX4 Pc4 2133P M393A2G40DB0-CPB0Q Ram Memory

$599.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00