Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Is this possible?, how?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Good luck! If you find a good solution, I think quite a few of us would like to read about it here

  2. #2
    Thank you both. I will read your thread utu

  3. #3
    What I finally did was only to copy KNOPPIX to my hard disk (knoppix tohd=/dev/sda2), it copies all my settings from the pen drive in the hard disk (even persistence). So, in my pen drive I keep all my settings and Knoppix saved but I am not using it anymore, I only need to boot with my pen drive and when I type the persistence password I can remove the pen drive and use KNOPPIX from my hard disk, without the pen drive plugged. When i boot with the pen drive knoppix automatically boots from the hard disk, founding Knoppix in there. If some day I get some problems in this configuration I only need to delete KNOPPIX folder in my hard disk and again from the pen drive: knoppix tohd=/dev/sda2, but from time to time I will update my pen drive booting as: knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    That's a simple way of a Poor Man's Install. You could edit the booting config file to include the parameter alternatives for simpler typing. You could also use more than one Knoppix install on the HD, for example if you want to experiment with different alternatives and don't want to ruin the main working version while experimenting.

  5. #5
    Yes, I changed some parameters to boot. About more than 1 knoppix on the hd, do you mean to change the name KNOPPIX to the folder and if something changes then delete the previous folder and use this one changing the name to KNOPPIX to boot?. As I said, knoppix boots automatically from the hd (searching first in it, not in the pendrive).

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    I _think_ something like this should work for customizing boot, YMMV

    If you use syslinux boot, you can edit boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg, and eventually add more alternatives to suit your needs
    The stanza for booting the 64-bits kernel in 7.6.1 is

    Code:
    LABEL knoppix64
    KERNEL linux64
    APPEND lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
    Here you may add another entry, for example if you have KNOPPIX in a directory KNOPPIX761_0 on /dev/sda1 - using knoppi65-0p at the boot prompt:

    Code:
    LABEL knoppix64-0p
    KERNEL linux64
    APPEND lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz fromhd=/dev/sda1 nosound knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX761_0 nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
    And the same without persistent image

    Code:
    LABEL knoppix64-0
    KERNEL linux64
    APPEND lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz fromhd=/dev/sda1 noimage nosound  knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX761_0 nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1  loglevel=1
    I haven't used syslinux for a long time, so there may be some errors here, but you get the idea. I have a version number on the KNOPPIX directories, as there may be several remasterings of a release on the same partition. Furthermore, you may want to patch minirt.gz, for example going over to squashfs instead of cloop. Then you save it under another name, and use that for the initrd boot parameter. Same if you change the kernel.

  7. #7
    Thank you! I have never used syslinux.cfg in that way and now I am wondering why... I will test it asap.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I should add that syslinux isn't limited to booting Knoppix, even if it comes up with Knoppix screen. I just copied kernel and initrd for Debian 8.3 into the syslinux directory, added entry for Debian 8.3, and placed the compressed and persistent images in right places. No problem multi-booting Debian 8.3 and Knoppix. For more routine multiboot use, I prefer legacy grub, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2 picture

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2

$70.00



Vintage Atari 1200 Zaxxon Computer software With box and manual picture

Vintage Atari 1200 Zaxxon Computer software With box and manual

$75.00



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95