You may use "update-alternatives" for system wide settingCode:su update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
Good morning, Mr. Schultz! Hello, friends!
I apologise for my long absence from the forum.
I want to run cupsconfig (for the newer members, start->knoppix->Printer Configuration ) with the latest standalone firefox rather than the older version of iceweasel. I read the script of cupsconfig
The link for "printer configuration" icon points to user/bin/cupsconfig.
I read the file cupsconfig. Links to either x-www-browser or www-browser. The two linked files are links themselves. They lead further to /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser or www-browser.
I have changed the start->preferences-> preferred applications with the browser as Firefox as a user. Didn't help.
While the x-www-browser opens a terminal-based application, the other one tries to open the sytem's default browser Iceweasel. Since firefox is already running iceweasel can't run.
Now, I could change the exec script in cupsconfig.
I would rather want to implement the code for system-wide configuration. I could do sudo libfm-pref-apps. Actually, I have done it with success.
But what is the best way to do it?
Regards
Last edited by rajibando; 03-09-2016 at 06:55 AM.
You may use "update-alternatives" for system wide settingCode:su update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
Thank you, Mr. Schulz. I will try and inform you.
I apologise for the typo while addressing a highly admired senior.
...
Yes, I did. I read the output:
So I see there are four choices, but not Firefox Standalone.There are 3 choices for the alternative x-www-browser (providing /usr/bin/x-www-browser).
Selection Path Priority Status
------------------------------------------------------------
0 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 auto mode
1 /usr/bin/chromium 40 manual mode
* 2 /usr/bin/iceweasel 70 manual mode
3 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 manual mode
Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
My next query will automatically be:
Can I edit a link file?
I tried vi /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
Appears to be a binary file. So do I delete the file and create a new x-www-browser link for Firefox?
P.S.: nice tip! I will remember. Thanks!
"/etc/alternatives/x-www-browser" is only a simple symlink managed by the tool 'update-alternatives'; you can delete it and create a new one manuallyUse your own value instead of '/xyz/'. But next update may possibly overwrite this.Code:su ln -s /xyz/firefox /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99