-
Senior Member
registered user
Debian Jessie 8.0.0 out, with systemd - consequences?
I have just started working on a poor man's install of Debian 8.0.0 live - The 7.6.0 version has been my daily OS for the last 6 months, only occasionally using Knoppix.
I have used it almost exactly the same way I use poor man's installs of Knoppix, the main difference being pure 64 bits. And with that, somewhat better performance, easier handling of huge amounts of data, Oracle XE 11g, and - in fact easier remastering (mostly a Debian effect).
I had almost forgotten how much the system is in need for a healthy amount of Knoppification, but I run into the problems now, on upgrading. That is in itself an important reason for creating a derivative. Another reason may turn out to be the conversion to systemd init in Debian 8.0.0. I don't really have strong opinions on systemd (I think Linus Torvalds' comments are to the point), but there are definitely things that should be adjusted (not only the use of binary (!!!) log files). I'm curious about the new init process, initrd.img has grown massively, from ca 13 to ca 35 MB, and the system may have distanced itself even more from what I think is Klaus K's very efficient and rational approach to system init. Klaus K's minirt.gz is 950KB, in comparison.
Decisions about and development of systemd will also affect Knoppix users, as Debian packages are now allowed to be dependent on systemd.
I think engagement from Knoppix users would be beneficial for all - even themselves
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99