Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: What motherboards/chipsets would work with knoppix?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262

    What motherboards/chipsets would work with knoppix?

    I am about to assemble a pc and plan to use it knoppix/linux exclusive.
    I tried Google search for suitable motherboards but most if not all list pentium III based which I believe are no longer available.Search also states that linux would work on all pentium 4 cpu but what motherboard?

    I do not want to get an exotic motherboard only to discover that it is not linux compatible. This is a big drawback for linux- almost all motherboards are tested using windows(drystone,quake,sandra,etc). I have yet to see a motherboard that says "linux compatible" or similar marking.

    Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    22
    I am faced with the same question.
    Try here: http://www.linux.org/hardware/components.html
    This gives a basic list of hardware, it may help.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Yes I have been to that site and more.

    Guess I am stuck! The only thing I can think of is buy a second hand pc-preferably a pentium III.

    So much for linux going mainstream!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by bongski55
    Yes I have been to that site and more.

    Guess I am stuck! The only thing I can think of is buy a second hand pc-preferably a pentium III.

    So much for linux going mainstream!
    Almost any standard motherboard will work with linux just stick with a good brand and you should have no problems.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    22
    I think Linux is ready for the mainstream, especially Knoppix and Morphix, my advice is to go to the pre-installed manufacturers sites and look at their specs. There are plenty of P4 systems that run Linux no problem. Linux does give a new life to older systems, I have turned "useless" used systems into perfectly usable linux systems, I even use one for pre-press and cd creation, so don't buy into the 18 month and everything is obsolete crap, that is pushed to sell people newer and newer machines. I get better performance out of older systems running Linux than with running them with their original OS. Try installing OS X or windows XP on an older system, all I can say is good luck.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12
    I just ran morphix on a p4 without any problems. it was on an Intel 845 board. Just FYI

Similar Threads

  1. OpenBSD: Intel Refuses To Open Wireless Chipsets
    By mzilikazi in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 06:41 AM
  2. Soundcard Yamaha don't work under K3.3, work under K3.2
    By Mokoshi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 04:52 PM
  3. Linux Problems with NForce chipsets??
    By asmodath1701 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2003, 12:23 AM
  4. USB issue for VIA chipsets !!!!!!
    By ktheking in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 08:50 AM
  5. USB WI-FI, Will it work with knoppix?
    By uraclea in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco C1101-4P Integrated Service Router Unit Only (HD) picture

Cisco C1101-4P Integrated Service Router Unit Only (HD)

$250.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco C9200-NM-4X Catalyst 9200 Series Network Module - expansion module(Sealed) picture

Cisco C9200-NM-4X Catalyst 9200 Series Network Module - expansion module(Sealed)

$410.00