-
Senior Member
registered user
Poor Man's Install to Hard Disk since Knoppix 7.6.0
I always run Knoppix as a 'Poor man's Install' on my hard drive. I use Grub4DOS to boot my multi OS system and the stanza that boots my Knoppix is something like:
title Knoppix 7.7 DVD
# MUST add the mkimage cheat code to create a persistent image file. The cheatcode can be removed once the file is created.
# Use preferences-desktop inside Knoppix to reset background wallpaper from none to supplied background.jpg.
kernel (hd0,4)/FrugalLinux/knoppix-770/linux knoppix nomce fromhd=/dev/sdb5 knoppix_dir=/FrugalLinux/knoppix-770 knoppix_name=KNOPPIX lang=uk libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime apm=power-off
initrd (hd0,4)/FrugalLinux/knoppix-770/minirt.gz
boot
Now, this has worked for many years but since the release of 7.6.0 I have had a problem.
Things proceed OK and then the following message flashes continuously:
Waiting (USB) Knoppix 7.7 in: /dev/sb5
After a while I get the message:
Could not mount disk to /mnt-system. Starting debugging Shell
and you are dumped at the command prompt.
I initially thought that this was a bug in 7.6 but it also happens with 7.7.
Based on the initial message displayed I wondered if a Poor Man's Installed Knoppix would now only boot from USB connected devices. I decided to replace the minirt.gz file from 7.7 with that from 7.5 and it boots! This is a good temporary solution but since the minrt.gz of 7.7 may have other useful improvements I would prefer to solve the problem properly.
I am a little surprised no one else has reported this problem - Capricorny, for example, boots this way I think?
Has anyone else had this problem?
Does anybody have a proper solution, which may involve the modification of the files within minirt.gz I guess?
-
640/5000
Here is the procedure I followed
Formatting a partition in fat,
Copy on this dvd partitition via flash install
Starting with the DVD by doing fromhd = / dev / (fat partition)
Copy of the boot directory in mnt-system,
Chmod + x / boot / *
Back to my boot partition: debian strech
Editing my /etc/grub.d/40_custom file
Menuentry 'knoppix' {
Insmod part_msdos
Insmod fat
Insmod chain
Set root = 'hd1, msdos1'
Search -no-floppy -fs-uuid -set = root (uuid number of my partition)
Linux / boot / vmlinuz root = / dev / sdb1
Initrd /boot/ninirt.gz
Boot desktop = gnome
}
It works very well and the startup is very very fast
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series
$235.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4
$79.99

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard
$351.99