-
Senior Member
registered user
In practice, the distinction is not very clear-cut, Knoppix 7.6.1 may be viewed as something of a 32/64 hybrid. Running the 64-bit kernel with the right 32/64 libraries, you may be able to make quite a few 64-bits applications run, and arch reports x86_64, exactly the same as my live Debian 8.3.0. I could run that as a 64-bits guest in kvm, but I couldn't make VMware install the 64-bits version of Workstation 10. There might be a workaround for that, but I don't take the time to look for it, for I am able to use standard Debian 8.3.0 in about the same way I have used Knoppix, with poor man's installs and persistent store.
-
Senior Member
registered user
As a small illustration of this, I just checked running a remastered Debian 8.3.0 with VMware Workstation 10 installed, in kvm under Knoppix 7.6.1, no modifications, just Knoppix out of the box w/4GB persistent store. There is a memory limit of 2047 MB in Knoppix kvm, but using that I was even able to start 64-bits VMware in the virtual machine, with up to 1200x1600 resolution. So it can be a bit misleading to call this a 32-bits system, just with a 64 bits kernel option.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Capricorny
...I am able to use standard Debian 8.3.0 in about the same way I have used Knoppix...
Were you successful in knoppifying Debian Live? or Debianizing Knoppix? It would be nice to see a merger with some
of the characteristics of each. I sure don't need all the apps that Klaus K provides, but bloat is no longer a problem
with the current low cost of SDs, Cruzers and such. The 64-bit kernel is worth it from the access to memory aspect alone.
Klaus K doesn't seem to have time himself to provide a minimal version in addition to the DVD, although he has finally
gone to multiple overlays for the basic DVD version for his own purposes. A re-definition might suffice to have a
'CD-size' KNOPPIX overlay and a complementary KNOPPIX1 overlay, that in combination with KNOPPIX defines,
on their union, a DVD-size KNOPPIX. Then some of us could just ignore KNOPPIX1 and build on the CD-size overlay.
Just as one might remove the current 7.6.1 KNOPPIX1 if one has no 3d-designer inclinations.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung Book Cover Keyboard Slim Black, Antimicrobial, English QWERTY EF-DT730
$55.00

Samsung Chromebook 11.6" Intel Celeron Chrome OS Gray (Charger Inc)
$22.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ Plus 5G 11" (Unlocked T-Mobile) Excellent Condition 
$99.00