I posted that I was not able to connect to the internet over a dialup line to my ISP with a hd install of Knoppix-3.2 060603 a few days ago. Since, I have continued to troubleshoot this prob, but a few minutes ago a respondent (in another forum) recommended I try running from the Live CD.
I write this to you from the same ver. running off the CD. It connects fine. When installed to the hard disk, though, it's broken, as my previous posts describe.
I notice that /etc/resolv.conflict is now correctly filled in with the dynamic DNS my ISP provides; this is emphatically NOT SO in the hdinstall, where the orig /etc/resolv.conflict was empty, and no corrections in it would bring KPPP, wvdial or pon to connect.
Any hints on how I might fix the hd installed version? Copy which files to the hdinstall?
I quite like Knoppix and running from the hard disk is SO MUCH faster.

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00
Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested
$28.49
Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More
$300.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts
$71.95
Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$150.00
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
5x Vintage Apple Macintosh II NuBus Cards 630-4179 NI GPIB DIO Asante Ethernet
$239.95
Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus
$64.95
Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00
Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99