When I did my first Knoppix remastering back in 2006, using chroot was in practice necessary. But returning to the kind of task a few years later, and following the methods outlined by other forum members here, I found that I didn't need it.
Chroot is important when a brand new OS version is created from scratch, for then there isn't anything to run yet. But I have found that as soon as I have a version able to run, it is much better working from that. And with easily configurable (in several parallel versions) persistent store, running the developing system in something like kvm is a very simple, robust and efficient way of applying and testing changes.
Working from Knoppix 7.6.1 (for example), I can run the ISO in kvm, use the flash installer to install Knoppix on the first partition of a USB SSD disk, and start creating alternatives by modifying the booting .cfg file there. When I then run (the external disk is identified as /dev/sdc)
I can use the booting alternatives in the syslinux file. I can even do remastering safely running from the image to be remastered, if I start without persistence. And after the first remastering, I will have all necessary tools in the cloop image, so it doesn't really matter for this use case whether I use persistence or not.Code:sudo kvm /dev/sdc -m 1024 &
Have I missed something important about chroot, as it doesn't seem to have much to offer for mye actual use?
I will need it for a knxbootstrap utility, but remastering is something quite different today.

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00
Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00
Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99
DOS Joystick Gameport to USB Converter - Adapter (NEW, 3-axis, 2-button)
$49.95
Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor
$100.00
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
Rare Vintage CH Product Mach III Analog Joystick for Apple Mac
$35.00
VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A
$22.67