-
Senior Member
registered user
Remastering - how much is chroot needed today?
When I did my first Knoppix remastering back in 2006, using chroot was in practice necessary. But returning to the kind of task a few years later, and following the methods outlined by other forum members here, I found that I didn't need it.
Chroot is important when a brand new OS version is created from scratch, for then there isn't anything to run yet. But I have found that as soon as I have a version able to run, it is much better working from that. And with easily configurable (in several parallel versions) persistent store, running the developing system in something like kvm is a very simple, robust and efficient way of applying and testing changes.
Working from Knoppix 7.6.1 (for example), I can run the ISO in kvm, use the flash installer to install Knoppix on the first partition of a USB SSD disk, and start creating alternatives by modifying the booting .cfg file there. When I then run (the external disk is identified as /dev/sdc)
Code:
sudo kvm /dev/sdc -m 1024 &
I can use the booting alternatives in the syslinux file. I can even do remastering safely running from the image to be remastered, if I start without persistence. And after the first remastering, I will have all necessary tools in the cloop image, so it doesn't really matter for this use case whether I use persistence or not.
Have I missed something important about chroot, as it doesn't seem to have much to offer for mye actual use?
I will need it for a knxbootstrap utility, but remastering is something quite different today.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120
$69.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$155.00

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$949.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73