Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: can't find display controls, synaptic broken filter is broken.

Threaded View

  1. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Can you tell exactly why you post this in the "News" section? Why do you think this has any generality for Knoppix 7.6.1? "General support" is a much better place for this, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by otropogo View Post
    1. on one of my systems I run a laptop display and a wide external monitor. Windows 8.x has no problem automatically sizing both displays. But in Knoppix, the external monitor is only showing a portion of the desktop. I've looked all over, and haven't been able to find a tool to adjust the screen resolution or otherwise fit the desktop to the screen. the result is that I have to fish blindly for the start icon, and I can't see the bottom taskbar, and basically the desktop is chopped off on all sides.

    Is there I tool I haven't recognized that can help me with this?
    You must try out all possibilities in ARandR, the program behind the monitor icon on the taskbar, first. That's the default resolution manager - remember to 'Layout,Apply' the choices you make. Maybe you already have, but you must tell us about it. Also details about the hardware are useful. Did you try googling for 'ARandR' plus your hardware setup?

    2. I tried to install UFRaw using synaptic, and it laboured for hours!, and finally presented me with the news that the attempt had failed, and that there were now two broken items that I had to find using the "broken filter." Unfortunately, the "broken filter" doesn't find anything, and so it seems synaptic itself is now broken.

    Is there a fix?

    I've run into other problems too, but two are probably already enough to get me branded as "troll" again.
    First, whenever you suspect something risky ahead, start Knoppix w/o persistence, cheatcode noimage. You can then try out actual changes before committing them to persistent store.
    Also, keep a backup of the last working version of your persistent store.

    I just tried, from command line

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ufraw
    sudo apt-get install gimp-ufraw
    No problems whatsoever. But then, I had issued

    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    in beforehand. In synaptic, you always start with the 'Reload' button. Because Knoppix is a mixture of different Debian release versions, this is particularly important to do. (Not apt-get upgrade!)
    My advice is that you start with a new install, but keep a backup of the pristine setup this time.
    Also, I have discovered that Knoppix nowadays often leaves the persistence file system with errors.
    You should (from somewhere else) try
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck -fy KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img
    and look at the output.
    If you regularly find that it is left in a broken state upon normal shutdown, that is very interesting news, I would like you to post about it in this subforum!
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Capricorny; 04-01-2016 at 07:26 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version picture

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version

$215.25



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$125.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00