Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: can't find display controls, synaptic broken filter is broken.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    I have discovered that Knoppix nowadays often leaves the persistence file system with errors.
    I also note that persistence files can occasionally get corrupted; usually in my case, from imperfect
    shut-downs. It helps to have a pristine backup of persistence files, just in case.
    I find it useful to occasionally examine what dmesg has to say in this regard:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -i corrupt
    This will not only find problems with persistence, it will uncover similar problems
    which may have crept into Windows and data partitions.

    An additional technique I use is to make cloop overlays of well-developed persistence files
    as additional fat32-partition-KNOPPIX[n] files which are pretty much immune to shut-down corruption.
    After adding such an overlay, I immediately use gparted to create a new 'empty' (reiser)
    persistence file for additional changes which I might make to my Knoppix LiveUSB.

    I try to minimize whatever is left to additional read/write persistence. After I get my Knoppix
    'immunized' somewhat in this way, I consider on-going r/w persistence as 'temporary' and just
    resurrect from notes any losses due to imperfect shut-downs.
    A minimalistic back-up of small r/w persistence files is an obvious alternative I might use here.
    Last edited by utu; 04-01-2016 at 07:46 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I also note that persistence files can occasionally get corrupted; usually in my case, from imperfect
    shut-downs. It helps to have a pristine backup of persistence files, just in case.
    I find it useful to occasionally examine what dmesg has to say in this regard:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -i corrupt
    This will not only find problems with persistence, it will uncover similar problems
    which may have crept into Windows and data partitions.

    An additional technique I use is to make cloop overlays of well-developed persistence files
    as additional fat32-partition-KNOPPIX[n] files which are pretty much immune to shut-down corruption.
    After adding such an overlay, I immediately use gparted to create a new 'empty' (reiser)
    persistence file for additional changes which I might make to my Knoppix LiveUSB.

    I try to minimize whatever is left to additional read/write persistence. After I get my Knoppix
    'immunized' somewhat in this way, I consider on-going r/w persistence as 'temporary' and just
    resurrect from notes any losses due to imperfect shut-downs.
    A minimalistic back-up of small r/w persistence files is an obvious alternative I might use here.
    I wonder what is the reason for this. I thought is was confined to running KNOPPIX under kvm, because I first detected it there. But it is not. So I have put a small script, fix_fs, in /usr/local/bin, to check the persistence file systems. Turns out they have to be fixed most of the time nowadays. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this before. I'm not talking about crashes or emergency halts. This happens with all standard methods of shutdown that I have tried.

    Perhaps we should pursue the "read-on-startup" and "write-on-exit" method, I think some distros have adopted it.
    Seems that mainstream Linux is turning into ever more of a buggy beast these days. Maybe not entirely coincidental.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00