Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Media support vanishing from Linux Mint

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Media support vanishing from Linux Mint

    Word posted on Slashdot today is that Linux Mint 18 will ship without Multimedia support (https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/...imedia-support). While details are provided on how to install multimedia support when installing Mint, I suspect that there are others like myself that like the ability to run Linux from a Live disc rather than being required to install it. Knoppix has let me down in this area for years, and now the last Live DVD that I'm aware of that still has native multimedia support is losing it. So if you use a live disc and want multimedia support, or just think that some day in the future it might come in handy, I suggest that you grab a copy of one or more of the Linux Mint 17.x ISO files while you still can.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    A clarification (I hope) about codecs missing in future Mint CD isos

    .
    Hello, Harry.

    I know you like to operate from a CD, but that is a self-selected restriction.
    I'm reasonably sure future Mints will include URLs from which cd users can obtain the necessary codecs.
    If so, LiveUSB, poor-man installs and other types will not find this a significant inconvenience.
    It surely will be more of an inconvenience to you than these other type of installations.

    I deal with this with Ubuntus most of the time where they deny me Broadcom wifi firmware that
    is available online. A nuisance for me which I overcome using an external plugin wifi that doesn't need codecs
    to download the b43 Broadcom firmware. Since I operate LiveUSB, that's about the only incovenience
    I have to suffer.

    This is to say only that the title on your post may be misinterpreted to mean that Mint might not provide
    information with which to get the proper codecs which it formerly provided as a convenience to users.
    What's missing is the former convenience of providing the codecs in the CD iso. Sad, but Ubuntu has been
    doing this for as long as I can remember.
    Last edited by utu; 07-15-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99