Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Read only

  1. #1

    Read only

    I need help. I would like to know in simple steps or with a simple explanation what should I do if I am actually using a pen drive with knoppix from the hard drive and I want this folder to become my knoppix cd/dvd as read-only (maintaining what I did with persistence: network, programs,etc). My goal is to use a read-only knoppix only. Can you explain to me the steps?. Must I make an image of the folder and then record it in cd/dvd?. is it enough?. Thanks a lot.

  2. #2
    Hi,

    If the aim is to run knoppix (including personal tweaks) in read-only mode, it's worth trying to wrap up the content of persistent image/partition into a compressed filesystem by using the create_compressed_fs command. An example can be found in the following link: https://lists.debian.org/debian-knop.../msg00005.html

    In case of KNOPPIX 7.4.x, it's noteworthy that the /etc/fstab file needs to be absent from any of the compressed KNOPPIX files (KNOPPIX[0-9]) in order to let NTFS partitions be mountable by using PCManFM. This tinny glitch, however, is ineffective when there is a persistent image (possibly including persistent partition) stacking on the top.

  3. #3
    Thanks a lot superman. I will try it when I can

  4. #4
    In my case I want to do it in Knoppix 7.2 CD, it's what I normally use.
    I can only see in /KNOPPIX-DATA: etc, home, lost+found, opt, root, usr and var.
    So, as I read in the link you posted, is this what I must do? (because in that folder I don't have bin, sbin and the others):
    sudo mkisofs -R -U etc home lost+found opt root usr var | create_compressed_fs -B 131072 -m - - > /tmp/KNOPPIX1

    When it's done, must I copy the KNOPPIX1 file to DVD-directory folder before making the iso?.
    I don't know how it will work when I boot if I only added a file: KNOPPIX1
    Thanks again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black picture

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black

$500.00