Thread pertaining to your wishes: http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/307...or-remastering
Hi,
I would like to perform the following remaster:
1. I want all the base system files and drivers available in knoppix (wireless, display, audio, bluetooth etc).
2. I would like to remove ALL packages except Virtualbox and its dependencies and a suitable file manager (maybe PCMANFM)
3. I would like to have only LXDE as a window manager (and its dependencies) and remove all the others, making LXDE the default.
I do not want any other software such as browser, email clients etc. My aim is to have a bootable hybrid iso from which I can launch VirtualBox and test various other systems virtually.
I was trying to get a list of installed packages using dpkg however I am not sure which ones should I leave to reach my goal.
Maybe someone can help me with this?
Thanks in advance.
Thread pertaining to your wishes: http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/307...or-remastering
Thanks fredvej...
I agree with the last post that still Knoppix is way ahead of Debian Live as regards a live system.
That is why I want to use Knoppix as my base system.
I just need a list of packages with all the drivers, virtualbox, pcmanfm and LXDE. To be honest, LXDE is an option. I would also be happy with flwm.
Any other help please? thanks in advance.
@rspiteri
If the version of KNOPPIX isn't of great importance, it may be worth starting off with Jeffery's package list and then pulling in Virtualbox related packages at later stage. His list can be found in the following link: http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/314...PIX-7-2-0-CD#8
Thanks for the link superman...
I solved the issue by buying a large pendrive and...
1. Installed KNOPPIX on it and created a 1GB persistence file just to install VirtualBox and keep any changes done in the settings (language, keyboard etc).
2. Booted KNOPPIX on the USB and repartitioned the pendrive creating a large partition formatted as exFAT. I used this partition to host my vdi and vhd files.
Since pendrive prices are relatively cheap compared to their sizes, it would not be worth it to remaster KNOPPIX and risking breaking packages.
Thanks to all for your help in this.

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99