Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Problem w/ Nforce Mobo

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1

    Problem w/ Nforce Mobo

    I have the ASUS A7N8X...Knoppix 3.1 while it loads, and I get in...it does not recognize the on-board audio nor the on-board NIC - the NVidia on-board hardware...I have no PCI cards required.

    Is there a customized Knoppix image that supports these? An Nforce chipset/mobo flavour? Or some way I can get these working, some drivers I can add or something like that?...namely the NIC so I can get 'Net access?

    Any and all help would be most appreciated.

    Thanx!

    ____________________
    Pinochet
    [email protected]
    Toronto.Ontario.Canada

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1

    nforce2

    ... and you are lucky .. because on my A7N8X Deluxe, knoppix doesn't boot. Even in failsafe.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    I would like to know if there are additional boot command line parameters that would enable the audio and NIC on the A7N8X Deluxe as well.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3
    A7N8X is actually NForce2 I think, which is a different kettle of fish to the original NForce. I've got an A7N266-VM (NForce1), and the sound works out of the box. Still the same issue with the NIC though - I guess I'm going to have to build it from source. It would be nice to have a version of Knoppix with this built in.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    Yes. The A7N8X Deluxe is based on the nforce2 chipset. I use the SPDIF for Windows, and that has always worked nicely for me. Just last night I tried the standard mini-RCA stereo jack, and it WORKED for Knoppix! So, for me, audio is no longer an issue. The A7N8X Deluxe has a second 3Com branded NIC, which I also tried last night, but to no avail. I'll have to open the box and drop in a PCI NIC and see how that goes.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    Update: I am currently running Knoppix with the audio enabled and using a PCI 3Com NIC. Cool. This looks like a great solution for people that wish to learn Linux but don't want to fool around with repartitioning their existing Windows installations...

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Can you explain what you did? They might want to include it on the CD so it will function correctly out of the box...

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27
    I'm not sure how NVidia licensed their NForce1/2 drivers, there are linux drivers available from them however knoppix may not be able to include them in their distribution due to NVidia's license, just like the accelerated display drivers NVidia has made for linux.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    I did nothing to the installation.

    For the audio:
    My speaker set works with SPDIF in, or with standard 1/8" RCA. I generally use only the SPDIF, but I tried the 1/8" plug and that worked.

    For the NIC:
    I used an old 3COM 590 PCI NIC that I had lying around. So, I currently have 3 NICs in my PC. 2 that are built into my main board that are totally unused, and the third that I added in just to try out the distro.

    If I had the Linux experience, I could probably work through the tools to recreate the CD with the appropriate drivers from nvidia...but I'm lazy.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    remaster

    I'm working on a remaster now and will try to include the Nforce2 NIC driver. Not sure how to go about it though....

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 06:55 PM
  2. Wanted: mobo recommendation
    By rickenbacherus in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 03:32 PM
  3. ATI grafics + nForce mobo = total confusion
    By heffeque in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 08:31 AM
  4. Booting problems with DFI mobo
    By RexBeans Explosion in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 01:10 AM
  5. Upgrading MOBO + CPU issues?
    By GuyFawkes in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2003, 05:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$128.96



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08