Why not read- and writable? I suppose you are using a "poor man's install.
First I boot knoppix as:
then I seeknoppix64 init 2 no3d fromhd="/dev/sdc5"
$ mount | grep mnt-system
/dev/sdc5 on /mnt-system type ext4 (rw,relatime,block_validity,delalloc,barrier,user_ xattr,acl)
$ blkid | grep sdc5
/dev/sdc5: LABEL="KNPX771" UUID="54e317fe-73cf-4b1c-8b1f-dfc9b708b68a" TYPE="ext2" PARTUUID="591ef660-03"
Why not read- and writable? I suppose you are using a "poor man's install.
OK, I (most probably wrongly) thought that partition used for a "poor man's install" would be read-only anyway
Say, you would like to define the regular user directory on the starting command prompt and you don't want anything to be ever written there
In fact, you would run knoppix without a hard drive at all and set up a user account after it started in case you would like to save anything. I would say a few files (access control + security) would be altered, just a few ... but the rest should be read-only
How do you do that?
Last edited by Albretch; 12-19-2016 at 08:03 PM.
In this case I wouldn't use a Live Linux as Knoppix with all his limitations. I would prefer for example Debian.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99
Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50