Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Is it a mistake to leave scripts in /etc/init.d that I dont want to run at boot time?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Is it a mistake to leave scripts in /etc/init.d that I dont want to run at boot time?

    I have Knoppix installed on my hard disc (distro 7.0.2, kernel release 3.3.7.).

    Could you please tell me if ALL scripts in the directory /etc/init.d/ are
    executed at boot time?

    The reason I ask is because I have altered (intelligently) one or two of the
    standard scripts that are in /etc/init.d/, such as

    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig.

    But before I altered them, I kept a copy of the originals in /etc/init.d/, and
    in the above case the copies I kept are

    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx-ORIG
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig-ORIG.

    Does this mean that these latter scripts are actually being run at boot time
    AS WELL AS

    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig?

    The system seems to run fine, but it's only just occurred to me (after a couple
    of years of use), that I might be running 2 lots of scripts as above.

    Your advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    Why bother and not keep Knoppix simple and leave it as it is DESIGNED to be used?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    Why bother and not keep Knoppix simple and leave it as it is DESIGNED to be used?
    Take a look in /etc/rc.local to get the answer to that question.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    No, Knoppix doesn't take care of '/etc/init.d/knoppix-startx-ORIG' and '/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig-ORIG'.
    Have a look at '/etc/inittab'.

  5. #5
    Many thanks Werner. Your kind reply is most welcome. I can breathe a sigh of relief that I haven't made a blunder.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Motion Control AB Beehive Technologies ADB I/O Interface Apple Macintosh picture

Vintage Motion Control AB Beehive Technologies ADB I/O Interface Apple Macintosh

$239.99



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard picture

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard

$350.00



Vintage 5.25

Vintage 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive Cleaning Kit Lot (1 Scotch 3M + 1 Verbatim) NOS⁠

$49.00



Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac picture

Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac

$11.75



Vintage Witty Mouse 3 Button Mechanical Ball Mouse DB25 Serial PC Tested Working picture

Vintage Witty Mouse 3 Button Mechanical Ball Mouse DB25 Serial PC Tested Working

$35.00



Vintage Tandy Color Computer Print Master Software Manual & Floppy Disk Binder picture

Vintage Tandy Color Computer Print Master Software Manual & Floppy Disk Binder

$38.00



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00



Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards picture

Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards

$57.59