why do you make so hard properly formatting a message? Why can't poster not enter plain html?
there actually is a way to boot from an iso knoppix image which is mounted read-only (ro), namely: using the "forensic" startup option. You would, say, startup with the one liner:then on init 2 you go:boot: knoppix64 no3d init 2 forensic bootfrom="/dev/sd"to get:mount | grep sdThe problem with the "forensic" option is that then all other partitions are mounted write-protected, read-only. Or, how do you work around this? There should be a "bootrofrom= ..." option for those of us who want to make sure the knoppix baseline is not being altered and want to be able to easily check if that is the case. On init 2 you could always edit /etc/passwd in order to create and change user directories Since the Internet has become such a promiscuous environment in which "Russian hackers" are constantly messing for fun and profit every connected device, introducing such a startup option would be great. I don’t believe at all in antivirus software It shouldn’t be that hard. Probably just including menuentries in the grub2 loader? What may I be missing? lbrtchx/dev/sd on /mnt-iso type ext4 (ro,relatime,block_validity,delalloc,barrier,user_ xattr,acl)
why do you make so hard properly formatting a message? Why can't poster not enter plain html?
after noticing the corrupted formatting but I can't edit it at all
I normally use the "forensic" option with a pendrive. But what I do is keeping some files/folders (new versions of tor browser, firefox and libflashplayer.so, checked with the sum when downloaded) zipped and encrypted in some folder inside my Knoppix with gpg (gpg -c --cipher-algo AES256 file.zip). So, I boot with knoppix forensic, write my wifi password and then decrypt those files (gpg file.gpg), remember that home folder is not read-only in that session. Every time I boot all is clean. The problem could be if my home folder (and so, my browsers and files) are hacked/cracked in that session. I avoid scripts (noscript addon) and normally I only use the browser, only some times flashplayer (yes, that´s dangerous), but if I want I can delete all the decrypted files and encrypt them again in that session. But it´s great to know that in the next boot (or if I begin the process again in the current session) all is always clean.
Last edited by joselb; 12-23-2016 at 07:41 AM.
well, yeah I also:
1) make the image file read-only
2) make their attributes unmodifiable (lsattr chattr)
3) resize the file system to its bare minimum (using gpated)
but a boot ro from an image would be a great option
I don't understand it very well, even if you boot from an image, using forensic option it will be read only, but it's impossible to use knoppix if ALL is read-only, some parts won't be that way. But the system part will remain read-only and protected in every boot. Maybe I miss something here.
The OP seems to enjoy his trolling.

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99