Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Adding Hard Drives

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7

    Adding Hard Drives

    Hi All,
    As a newbie to Knoppix/Linux I decided that it would be safer to unplug the power connectors to my existing 2 hard disks before adding the drive that I have installed Knoppix to using knx-hdinstall, ( the grief from the rest of the family had I accidentally trashed the current system would have been severe). I have now got a Linux system that I am quite happy with and would like to put the Linux disk into the exiting system to produce a dual boot system.
    The question is, will the other 2 drives cause the Linux disk to move from hda and so not allow the linux system to boot correctly?
    Also does anybody know how to make Openoffice start quicker?

    Thanks

    Shaun

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Adding Hard Drives

    Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    Hi All,
    As a newbie to Knoppix/Linux I decided that it would be safer to unplug the power connectors to my existing 2 hard disks before adding the drive that I have installed Knoppix to using knx-hdinstall, ( the grief from the rest of the family had I accidentally trashed the current system would have been severe). I have now got a Linux system that I am quite happy with and would like to put the Linux disk into the exiting system to produce a dual boot system.
    The question is, will the other 2 drives cause the Linux disk to move from hda and so not allow the linux system to boot correctly?
    You're asking a very open ended question here. I'll venture an answer anyway.

    Primary Master- /dev/hda
    Primary Slave- /dev/hdb
    Secondary Master- /dev/hdc
    Secondary Slave- /dev/hdd

    Where does your Knoppix drive fit in the above drive layout?

    What boot manager are you going to use? Let's say for example that your Knoppix drive is going to be on /dev/hdd. Just install LILO to the /root partition of your Knoppix drive and edit it so that your boot manager points to /dev/hdd.

    OR you could put the Knoppix drive in as /dev/hda and edit LILO so that it points to your other bootable drive. This way LILO would be your boot manager. Be aware that since wimpdoze usually crashes at the slightest glitch anyway you could have all sorts of issues to deal with by moving it from /dev/hda. wimdoze (like it's evil creator) insists on being first so it might freak out if you move it. I dunno.

    Also does anybody know how to make Openoffice start quicker?
    It's a huge heavy program- the only thing I know of is getting a faster machine w/ more RAM. Probably not what you wanted to hear eh?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for the responce.
    I think what I wanted to ask was that if I installed to Hda (primary master) and then relocated the drive to hdd (secondary slave) would the system still boot with only the boot manager requiring tweeking to point to the new location, or do I have to re-install the system with the drive in it's new location.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    There is no need to reinstall unless you bork the install so badly there is no other way to fix it. I realize that wimpdoze has taught many people this very bad habit of reinstalling. Quit that! heh heh

    You need to have LILO (or GRUB) installed to your Knoppix hard drive. Then just edit your bootmanager so that it points to /dev/hdd./ LILO (if installed correctly) will take over the boot process from there.

    LILO if properly installed should have the following included in /etc/lilo.conf:

    boot=/dev/hdd
    root=/dev/hdd


    The easiest way to do it would be to boot the Knoppix hard drive, edit lilo then /sbin/lilo.

    Then install the hard drive to /dev/hdd and it should work. gluck

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus

    The easiest way to do it would be to boot the Knoppix hard drive, edit lilo then /sbin/lilo.

    Then install the hard drive to /dev/hdd and it should work. gluck
    Also edit the /etc/fstab to change from hda to hdd for the filesystems.

Similar Threads

  1. 3.8.1 sees usb hard drives but not usb dvd
    By db109 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 04:40 AM
  2. i need some help on hard drives :(
    By passion_wheel1974 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 11:06 PM
  3. Cannot see hard drives, please help
    By phsieh in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 06:23 PM
  4. Finding Hard drives
    By lgreen in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 06:19 AM
  5. lilo and two os on two hard drives
    By marlinswin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 03:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3 picture

Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3

$185.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



CyberData SIP Paging Adapter VOIP 011233C / 021542G-Never Used picture

CyberData SIP Paging Adapter VOIP 011233C / 021542G-Never Used

$120.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120 picture

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120

$999.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99