-
Senior Member
registered user
Poor Man's Install to Hard Disk since Knoppix 7.6.0
I always run Knoppix as a 'Poor man's Install' on my hard drive. I use Grub4DOS to boot my multi OS system and the stanza that boots my Knoppix is something like:
title Knoppix 7.7 DVD
# MUST add the mkimage cheat code to create a persistent image file. The cheatcode can be removed once the file is created.
# Use preferences-desktop inside Knoppix to reset background wallpaper from none to supplied background.jpg.
kernel (hd0,4)/FrugalLinux/knoppix-770/linux knoppix nomce fromhd=/dev/sdb5 knoppix_dir=/FrugalLinux/knoppix-770 knoppix_name=KNOPPIX lang=uk libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime apm=power-off
initrd (hd0,4)/FrugalLinux/knoppix-770/minirt.gz
boot
Now, this has worked for many years but since the release of 7.6.0 I have had a problem.
Things proceed OK and then the following message flashes continuously:
Waiting (USB) Knoppix 7.7 in: /dev/sb5
After a while I get the message:
Could not mount disk to /mnt-system. Starting debugging Shell
and you are dumped at the command prompt.
I initially thought that this was a bug in 7.6 but it also happens with 7.7.
Based on the initial message displayed I wondered if a Poor Man's Installed Knoppix would now only boot from USB connected devices. I decided to replace the minirt.gz file from 7.7 with that from 7.5 and it boots! This is a good temporary solution but since the minrt.gz of 7.7 may have other useful improvements I would prefer to solve the problem properly.
I am a little surprised no one else has reported this problem - Capricorny, for example, boots this way I think?
Has anyone else had this problem?
Does anybody have a proper solution, which may involve the modification of the files within minirt.gz I guess?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99