Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mounting self-made cloop file - how?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    36
    I'm at it.

    Quote Originally Posted by DirkS View Post
    The method I tried (twice) on Knoppix 7.0 was, after becoming root:
    Code:
    # mkdir /media/test-cloop
    # mount /media/sdc2/sda1_2017-03-04.cloop /media/test-cloop -o loop=/dev/cloop3,ro
    I didn't even need to specify the filesystem type.
    This method also works in 7.3 but fails in 7.4.2, 7.7.0 and 7.7.1
    For the following tests I used /media/sr0 as mountpoint instead of creating a directory named /media/test-cloop.
    Using the commands that are contained in the cloop file at the beginning, slightly modified:
    Code:
    #modprobe cloop file=/media/sdd2/sda1_2017-03-01.cloop; echo $?
    # mount -r -t auto /dev/cloop3 /media/sr0
    This works in 7.4.2, even though it took me several tries to find the correct number after /dev/cloop. But this method does not work in 7.7.0 and 7.7.1:
    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/media/sdd2# mount -r -t auto /dev/cloop3 /media/sr0
    mount: /dev/cloop3: Superblock konnte nicht gelesen werden (Translation: Superblock could not get read)
    Also failed with all other cloop devices.

    Your method:
    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/media/sdd2# losetup --verbose --read-only /dev/cloop6 /media/sdd2/sda1_2017-03-04.cloop
    root@Microknoppix:/media/sdd2# mount --verbose  /dev/cloop6 /media/sr0
    works in 7.7.0. Yay! I have to reboot to test it in 7.7.1 and/or older versions, but I wanted to write this post with the results so far first.

    By the way, while still being root I was able to do
    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/media/sde2# df | grep sr0; echo $?
    /dev/cloop6        307196     233384      73812   76% /media/sr0
    0
    root@Microknoppix:/media/sdd2# umount /dev/sr0
    root@Microknoppix:/media/sdd2#  df | grep sr0; echo $?
    1
    so umounting as root works for me. But I cannot free/detach /dec/cloop6:
    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/media/sdd2#  losetup --verbose -d /dev/cloop6
    losetup: /dev/cloop6: Benutzung des Gerätes ist fehlgeschlagen: Erfolg (Translation: Using the device failed: Success - sorry, that's what it says.)
    So indeed, at this point a reboot is required.
    Last edited by DirkS; 03-12-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added some info.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    36
    Wrapping up.

    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/media/sdd2# losetup --verbose --read-only /dev/cloop6 /media/sdd2/sda1_2017-03-04.cloop
    root@Microknoppix:/media/sdd2# mount --verbose  /dev/cloop6 /media/sr0
    also works in 7.7.1. Double Yay! So I have a solution for the newest Knoppix. Now I hope that it will still work in the upcoming Knoppix 8.

    Is there a way to declare the thread as "solved"?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkS View Post
    Is there a way to declare the thread as "solved"?
    I suggest you PM Werner P. Schulz to see if this is possible.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    36
    Thanks, utu, I haven't done this yet, but I'm considering it.

    Meanwhile I'm going through the mailing list and found something:

    https://lists.debian.org/debian-knop.../msg00000.html - title: "losetup from 7.6.1 can't detach a cloop device" - sounds familiar, isn't it? Seems like this is caused by a change in losetup. Klaus Knopper posted an answer in which he mentioned that he filed a bug report and using the losetup of busybox should work. I can't test that right now, just leaving the info here so it will not get forgotten.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08