Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: P2P on Knoppix????

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10

    P2P on Knoppix????

    Limware, Gtk Gnutella, or some other simular programs .... will any of them work with Knoppix? if so, then how do I install them?

    thankx.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    apt-get install pyslsk the program is Py Soul Seek it works rather well and straight out of the "box" so to speak.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    You might also try:

    apt-get install xmule

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I forgot. You can also do:

    apt-get install gtk-gnutella

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10

    It doesn't work..... I dont think..

    I tried to use thoose commands in the terminal but it says some things about not being able to write to some directory, and something about not being able to parse something. I would like to use Knoppix with a program like Gnutella to save the files onto my external usb 2.0 harddrive with a phat 32 partition.

    could anyone help me? I would really like to get Gnutella installed using Knoppix.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I think both Stephen and I were under the impression that you had Knoppix installed on your hd, but it sounds like you are using the cd. You will need to either install Knoppix to your hd or remaster your own cd before you can use these programs.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10
    Thanks to all of you who helped me out

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    N. Cal.
    Posts
    3
    lMule is a client I would suggest once you get Knoppix on your harddrive for Win programs of size. It's not much for videos of anything but porn and not many share audio except for some relatively rare album and artist mega-collections. Newsfroups still rule the roost for vids and lossless audio. And Linux binaries are rare because FTP and HTTP are easier means for open source freeware except perhaps for the recent debacle of knoppix-std-0.1b.iso. That's an extreme exception, of course.

    Overnet and eDonkey2000 use the same protocol, indeed eDonkey is the original and all the servers on the Donkey Network are linux without exception, but Overnet gets on without servers. Currently, however, the GUI for Linux clients is broken for the new clients, Overnet and eDonkey alike. They both have recently adopted an emule-style rating system that punishes pure leachers.

    Bittorrent is another where you may actually find in-demand large files and have better luck with *nix stuff. The problem with it is that it's more of a 0-day thing. Links don't last long. This is a site where you can find some links.

    There's a thing called called Freenet which is coming into its own now that I've only dabbled with, but holds some real promise though it doesn't do the error correction that others do.

    Try out http://www.zeropaid.com/ It's not much for renewing your faith in the fight against pop-ups, but it has many useful links and the forums are very valuable in the knowledge contained therein. Google, however, is much more valuable as a resource, as I am sure you were aware.

    I saw this question asked in another forum to which I wasn't subscribed and wanted to answer, but I thought that answering here might answer your questions and others more shy.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10

    thanks

    thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth picture

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth

$39.99



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Lot of 18 Polycom VoIP Phones 15 VVX 350 + 3 VVX 150 Business IP Phones picture

Lot of 18 Polycom VoIP Phones 15 VVX 350 + 3 VVX 150 Business IP Phones

$399.99



Fanvil V64 Black VoIP IP Desk Phone, 12 Lines, Speakerphone, RJ-45, USB picture

Fanvil V64 Black VoIP IP Desk Phone, 12 Lines, Speakerphone, RJ-45, USB

$33.33



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



10x LOT: New in Box Cisco CP-7821-K9 VOIP Business Phones w/ Handsets + Stands picture

10x LOT: New in Box Cisco CP-7821-K9 VOIP Business Phones w/ Handsets + Stands

$795.00



Yealink SIP-T46S IP Phone - Black picture

Yealink SIP-T46S IP Phone - Black

$20.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99