Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How to discover PCs on the network from USB stick connected to PC with unbootable HDD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1

    Question How to discover PCs on the network from USB stick connected to PC with unbootable HDD

    Hello everyone.

    I'm looking into using Knoppix as a file recovery solution.

    I have an unbootable Windows (8.1) laptop on a HomeGroup network (that connects PCs using password; it's a LAN network connecting PCs over router). For some reason OS DVD doesn't boot on that system either (the startup process halts, DVD drive stops, and the screen goes dark).

    I decided to make a bootable USB stick with a live OS (may be Knoppix) and connect it to this unbootable laptop for transferring files to another PC or even trying to format one of its logical drives in order to try reinstall the OS but I don't know what steps should be taken to discover the laptop (to copy the files to) on the network. I'm not sure whether Knoppix (or other similar OS) would discover the network computers automatically (like Windows) or not. Also, I suspect it takes some knowledge to copy files from an NTFS HDD (or formatting it) using Linux-like OS (from a USB stick) unlike clicking on a drive and copying files directly to a public folder of another computer on the network (like in Windows) or I might be wrong (this is why I need your help).

    I will appreciate your help clarifying how exactly aforementioned procedures can be done using Knoppix.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1

    Hdd

    Quote Originally Posted by bp2017 View Post
    Hello everyone.

    I'm looking into using Knoppix as a file recovery solution.

    I have an unbootable Windows (8.1) laptop on a HomeGroup network (that connects PCs using password; it's a LAN network connecting PCs over router). For some reason OS DVD doesn't boot on that system either (the startup process halts, DVD drive stops, and the screen goes dark).

    I decided to make a bootable USB stick with a live OS (may be Knoppix) and connect it to this unbootable laptop for transferring files to another PC or even trying to format one of its logical drives in order to try reinstall the OS but I don't know what steps should be taken to discover the laptop (to copy the files to) on the network. I'm not sure whether Knoppix (or other similar OS) would discover the network computers automatically (like Windows) or not. Also, I suspect it takes some knowledge to copy files from an NTFS HDD (or formatting it) using Linux-like OS (from a USB stick) unlike clicking on a drive and copying files directly to a public folder of another computer on the network (like in Windows) or I might be wrong (this is why I need your help).

    I will appreciate your help clarifying how exactly aforementioned procedures can be done using Knoppix.
    Remove the hdd ...use a usb dock with a working system to read files off the drive

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$350.00



Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ picture

Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ

$179.99



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD A6-3500@2.10GHz 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ picture

VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ

$160.00



MOS MCS1026 Vintage Ceramic Chip - missing multiple legs (BO) picture

MOS MCS1026 Vintage Ceramic Chip - missing multiple legs (BO)

$250.00



INTEL C3404 VINTAGE Ceramic Gray Trace Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

INTEL C3404 VINTAGE Ceramic Gray Trace Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$250.00



Intel C4003 Vintage Ceramic Chip - multiple damaged legs picture

Intel C4003 Vintage Ceramic Chip - multiple damaged legs

$200.00



Intel 1702A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

Intel 1702A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$200.00



Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used picture

Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used

$19.99



Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS picture

Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS

$54.99