-
Senior Member
More Help needed:
Time and Day Settings:
I live in Time zone America/Vancouver. After each reboot the Time zone is reset to local time which is my time +8 hours.
Where is the configuration file for Time and Day Settings to find?
I might be able to change "local" to "America/Vancover" ?
-
Senior Member
I found this thread posted by philo on 08-09-2014:
Time zone change cannot be made permanent.
I can set the time zone and it shows correct in /etc/timezone "America/Vancouver".
After reboot /etc/timezone is overwritten and says "localtime"
-
Senior Member
I entered UTC in /etc/adjtime and set the time zone again to America/Vancouver.
After reboot /etc/adjtime was still ok (UTC) but /etc/timezone was again "localtime".
What to do?
-
BIOS time (hardware clock) --> UTC
/etc/adjtime --> UTC [instaead of LOCAL]
/etc/timezone ---> America/Vancouver
and maybe in :
/media/sd__/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
LABEL knoppix LABEL knoppix64, add inside APPEND:
--> tz=America/Vancouver
-
Senior Member

Originally Posted by
philo
1) BIOS time (hardware clock) -->UTC
2) /etc/adjtime --> UTC [instaead of LOCAL]
3) /etc/timezone ---> America/Vancouver
4) and maybe in :
/media/sd__/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
LABELknoppix LABEL knoppix64, add inside APPEND:
-->tz=America/Vancouver
To 1):
The BIOS is for MSI motherboard 785GM-E51.
I can not change the time - it shows +7 hours from my local time.
To 2):
Ihave changed this to UTC!
To 3):
Ihave changed this to America/Vancouver - but it is mysteriously overwritten to America/New-York
To 4):
root@Microknoppix:/# sudo nano /media/sdg/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
/media/sdg/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfgdoes not exist
root@Microknoppix:/# ls
config-4.12.7 grub ipxe.lkrn System.map-4.12.7-64 vmlinuz-4.12.7
config-4.12.7-64 ipxe.efi System.map-4.12.7 vmlinuz vmlinuz-4.12.7-64
-

Originally Posted by
Karibu
I can not change the time - it shows +7 hours from my local time.
Then that's set at UTC already?
Last edited by philo; 10-13-2017 at 07:02 PM.
-
Senior Member
I found syslinux.cfg in >Root >KNOPPIX >boot and added
inside APPEND: -->tz=America/Vancouver
Now, in window under ---> Preferences ---> Time and Date the line 'Time zone' is filled in correctly (America/Vancouver) and the line 'Configuration' is filled in correctly (Keep synchronized with Internet servers) as well.
I still don't get the PST (Pacific Standard Time) though. Only if I switch the configuration back and forth between 'Manual' and '...synchronized...' then, after a few minutes, the PST is shown....
What else is missing?
Last edited by Karibu; 10-14-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Reason: more text
-

Originally Posted by
Karibu
What else is missing?
The ntp package?
-
Junior Member
registered user
I just run this script automatically on boot (see https://wiki.lxde.org/en/Autostart). Good enough for me. Change the 2nd line as needed.
time=$(date +%Y%m%d\ %H:%M:%S)
echo Europe/Amsterdam | sudo tee /etc/timezone
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -f noninteractive tzdata
sudo date --set="$time"
sudo hwclock --systohc
You could even add something like:
(sleep 60 && sudo rdate -n pool.ntp.org && sudo hwclock --systohc) &
-
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033
$125.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate 2.5" Barracuda 1TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 2F110A-500
$19.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99