I found this thread posted by philo on 08-09-2014:
Time zone change cannot be made permanent.
I can set the time zone and it shows correct in /etc/timezone "America/Vancouver".
After reboot /etc/timezone is overwritten and says "localtime"
More Help needed:
Time and Day Settings:
I live in Time zone America/Vancouver. After each reboot the Time zone is reset to local time which is my time +8 hours.
Where is the configuration file for Time and Day Settings to find?
I might be able to change "local" to "America/Vancover" ?
I found this thread posted by philo on 08-09-2014:
Time zone change cannot be made permanent.
I can set the time zone and it shows correct in /etc/timezone "America/Vancouver".
After reboot /etc/timezone is overwritten and says "localtime"
I entered UTC in /etc/adjtime and set the time zone again to America/Vancouver.
After reboot /etc/adjtime was still ok (UTC) but /etc/timezone was again "localtime".
What to do?
BIOS time (hardware clock) --> UTC
/etc/adjtime --> UTC [instaead of LOCAL]
/etc/timezone ---> America/Vancouver
and maybe in :
/media/sd__/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
LABEL knoppix LABEL knoppix64, add inside APPEND:
--> tz=America/Vancouver
To 1):
The BIOS is for MSI motherboard 785GM-E51.
I can not change the time - it shows +7 hours from my local time.
To 2):
Ihave changed this to UTC!
To 3):
Ihave changed this to America/Vancouver - but it is mysteriously overwritten to America/New-York
To 4):
root@Microknoppix:/# sudo nano /media/sdg/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
/media/sdg/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfgdoes not exist
root@Microknoppix:/# ls
config-4.12.7 grub ipxe.lkrn System.map-4.12.7-64 vmlinuz-4.12.7
config-4.12.7-64 ipxe.efi System.map-4.12.7 vmlinuz vmlinuz-4.12.7-64
I just run this script automatically on boot (see https://wiki.lxde.org/en/Autostart). Good enough for me. Change the 2nd line as needed.
time=$(date +%Y%m%d\ %H:%M:%S)
echo Europe/Amsterdam | sudo tee /etc/timezone
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -f noninteractive tzdata
sudo date --set="$time"
sudo hwclock --systohc
You could even add something like:
(sleep 60 && sudo rdate -n pool.ntp.org && sudo hwclock --systohc) &
I found syslinux.cfg in >Root >KNOPPIX >boot and added
inside APPEND: -->tz=America/Vancouver
Now, in window under ---> Preferences ---> Time and Date the line 'Time zone' is filled in correctly (America/Vancouver) and the line 'Configuration' is filled in correctly (Keep synchronized with Internet servers) as well.
I still don't get the PST (Pacific Standard Time) though. Only if I switch the configuration back and forth between 'Manual' and '...synchronized...' then, after a few minutes, the PST is shown....
What else is missing?
Last edited by Karibu; 10-14-2017 at 02:53 AM. Reason: more text

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel Core i5-12400 CPU 2.50GHz 6-Core 12-thread SRL5Y LGA 1700
$121.99
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested
$35.00
Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor
$39.99
Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95
AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99
Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0
$38.00