Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: This will sound really stupid...

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    11

    This will sound really stupid...

    ...but I'll post it anyway.

    I'm using Knoppix 3.2 on CD. Today I wanted to try Wine on some Windows apps. The Windows partition I wanted was automounted as hdb5, so I typed (without the quotes):

    "wine hdb5/apps"

    (where "apps" was the target folder's name). Linux said "No such directory."

    I then tried "cd hdb5/apps" and simply "cd hdb5". Again, "No such directory."

    But I could see and access the partition in KDE. Why couldn't I get there from a console? Is this a Knoppix thing, or am I just being generally Linux-dense?

    Thanks, Ander

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Try cd /mnt/hdb5/apps/ this assumes you have mounted the hdb5 partition as /mnt/hdb5. eg. sudo mount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5 in the console window.

    The partition gets automatically mounted when you click on the icon in KDE but not the console.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    11
    Great---thanks!

    Just out of curiosity: So the KDE desktop link is actually a link to the mount command, not the folder itself? After you've opened (mounted) it once, how does it know it's not necessary to re-mount that partition on subsequent clicks?

    Cheers, Ander

Similar Threads

  1. stupid stupid stupid knoppix
    By MrAhmad in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 10:15 PM
  2. This is going to sound really stupid
    By pf123 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 05:53 PM
  3. I'm stupid, help me please
    By osaria in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 05:54 PM
  4. I am stupid too trying to change the language
    By Ruben in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 04:30 PM
  5. A word from the stupid :p
    By Gandalf_Grey_ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 02:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St... picture

KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St...

$64.99



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$167.63



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys picture

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys

$16.99



Powerffy Cordless Vacuum Cleaner N10 400W/30Kpa  Power Nozzle Head Assembly. picture

Powerffy Cordless Vacuum Cleaner N10 400W/30Kpa Power Nozzle Head Assembly.

$39.99



Cordless Electric Mini Air Duster Blower Vacuum Cleaner for PC Computer Car Home picture

Cordless Electric Mini Air Duster Blower Vacuum Cleaner for PC Computer Car Home

$16.99



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$80.66