Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Is it a mistake to leave scripts in /etc/init.d that I dont want to run at boot time?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Is it a mistake to leave scripts in /etc/init.d that I dont want to run at boot time?

    I have Knoppix installed on my hard disc (distro 7.0.2, kernel release 3.3.7.).

    Could you please tell me if ALL scripts in the directory /etc/init.d/ are
    executed at boot time?

    The reason I ask is because I have altered (intelligently) one or two of the
    standard scripts that are in /etc/init.d/, such as

    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig.

    But before I altered them, I kept a copy of the originals in /etc/init.d/, and
    in the above case the copies I kept are

    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx-ORIG
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig-ORIG.

    Does this mean that these latter scripts are actually being run at boot time
    AS WELL AS

    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig?

    The system seems to run fine, but it's only just occurred to me (after a couple
    of years of use), that I might be running 2 lots of scripts as above.

    Your advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    Why bother and not keep Knoppix simple and leave it as it is DESIGNED to be used?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    Why bother and not keep Knoppix simple and leave it as it is DESIGNED to be used?
    Take a look in /etc/rc.local to get the answer to that question.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    No, Knoppix doesn't take care of '/etc/init.d/knoppix-startx-ORIG' and '/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig-ORIG'.
    Have a look at '/etc/inittab'.

  5. #5
    Many thanks Werner. Your kind reply is most welcome. I can breathe a sigh of relief that I haven't made a blunder.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$949.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99