Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Hot Swappable Drives and Sound Card on Presario 2800

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    14

    Hot Swappable Drives and Sound Card on Presario 2800

    Hello, am another newbie to linux. Am running Knoppix 3.2 on a Presario 2800 laptop. Did a full install today and am having some difficulties now. My CD-ROM and FDD are hot-swappable. Knoppix sees them both but I am unable to mount either one. It says something to the effect of too many file systems. Am doing a dual boot with WinXP on another partition.

    Also when I call up info on my sound card it says no info available. Loggin in as root, there is actually sound on startup but not so with running under normal user. When I ran knoppix live of the CD it could play sound but very softly.

    Finally this is gonna sound plenty stupid, but how do i install drivers?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I'm not sure about the swapable drive issue, but I'll try to help with the sound.

    First of all make your volume levels are turned up. I this sounds a little trite, but I've found it to be the source of many a sound problems. You can adjust your volume levels by using aumix.

    If that doesn't work, make sure that your user belongs to the audio group. You can add yourself this way:
    Code:
    adduser <yourusername> audio
    .

    Sounds as if your sound card is properly detected since you get sound for Root, so that shouldn't be a problem.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    14
    Haha spot on.... volume was down too low. How do I get into aumix. Was trying to find the volume controls in vain earlier today when I found out volume was the problem.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    14
    nvm the aumix thing, got that...thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by xolstis
    Haha spot on.... volume was down too low. How do I get into aumix. Was trying to find the volume controls in vain earlier today when I found out volume was the problem.
    Handy tip: edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and add aumix -w 60 -v 60 to the bottom of the file and your levels will be set every time you boot.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    14
    thanks, but could i know what the -w 60 -v 60 stands for?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by xolstis
    thanks, but could i know what the -w 60 -v 60 stands for?
    I assume the -v stands for volume not sure about the -w read it in a post when I was having trouble with sound and it worked so I thought I would pass it on.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    14
    okies thanks so i could set it to 100 instead of 60? is that 60 standing for dB or volume %

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by xolstis
    okies thanks so i could set it to 100 instead of 60? is that 60 standing for dB or volume %
    I believe it would be percent but I remember reading somewhere not to set it above 75 you can give it a try at 100 if you want. I know with it set at 60 I never have to turn the volume [edit] on the speakers [/edit] past close to a half of the way to get almost full volume from them YMMV.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    14
    Set it to 85 and got it to work, 75 is still too soft for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. no sound Presario R3000 ATI chipset
    By mrgraey in forum Laptops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 03:00 PM
  2. Add PCMCIA card on Presario 2100
    By edpatterson in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 08:38 PM
  3. SOund card fun:Sound Blaster Audigy OEM also Radeon 9600Pro
    By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
  4. knoppix 3.3 -no chance hdinstall Asrock and XP-2800
    By jackson21 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 09:31 PM
  5. No sound on Compaq Presario 2811EA
    By filipedinis in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 07:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99