Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Remasting and inserting new kernel

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3

    Remasting and inserting new kernel

    I'm new to this remastering stuff and I had soms questions.

    I' m making a knoppix version with pptpd support so I had to recompile my kernel. That worked. But now I'm stuck. The cd need to boot my new kernel, I changed the vmlinuz symlink in /boot to my new kernel but when I boot the cd it still searches the old kernel. So I tought my mistake was located in boot.img.

    Now the actual question. If I remove vmlinuz in the boot.img file and copy my kernel to it will that kernel find my modulles. The name of my new kernel isn't vmlinuz. Is this a problem?



    Millekink

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Directly from the Docs-

    PREPARING YOUR DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT
    At this point you should already have Knoppix copied off of your CD and in source and master directories on a hard drive. In addition to making the source and master partitions (from now on I'll just call them source and master directories because I just made two directories on one partition: /mnt/hda1/source and /mnt/hda1/master.) you will also want to make two folders on the root of this partition: boot and mroot. This will leave you with a partition having four folders: master, source, boot, and mroot. The first two you should already be familiar with. 'boot' will be where we will mount the boot.img file, and 'mroot' is where we will mount miniroot.gz, which is contained within the boot.img file. Are you with me so far? Good! Let's get started..

    First of all, copy master/KNOPPIX/boot.img (or boot-en.img if you want english default keyboard settings) to the root of your partition, where the four folders above reside. Stash a copy away somewhere or make a boot.img.old. Sure, you still have a copy in master/KNOPPIX, but wasn't the one you just overwrote it with broken? oops! Hopefully you still have the original CD if things get too hairy.

    Now for the fun part: 'mount boot.img boot -t msdos -o loop=/dev/loop0' will mount the boot floppy in the boot folder. Next, 'cp boot/miniroot.gz .', 'gunzip miniroot.gz', and 'mount miniroot mroot -t ext2 -o loop=/dev/loop1'.

    Now we have the boot floppy with the original kernel, miniroot.gz, and config files in the boot folder. I suggest copying any other files you wish to modify to the root of your dev partition as well, or maybe make a bak or tmp folder to store your backups in. From here on, I will just assume you are backing up all original files and not bug you any more about it. Just be aware of what exactly you have modified on your boot floppy, and don't forget to unmount it before copying it back to your master folder.

    PREPARING YOUR KERNEL
    Do not apply the knoppix-kernel patch until you have finished all kernel configuration. If you need to go back and tweak your kernel configuration later on, you will need to re-apply the knoppix-kernel patch after you save your new configuration and before you begin building your kernel. This is because the kernel patch makes changes to setup.c, which saving a new configuration can often overwrite.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3
    Thnx but I already found that doc. I just was looking for some concrete info. Like the original remastering doc.

    I also was looking for some people with some experience in this kernel matter.


    Millekink

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    52
    Hello,

    Did you every get this resolved? If so, how?

    TIA,
    cesman

Similar Threads

  1. remasting questions - chroot?
    By id10t in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 10:22 PM
  2. Lyx Error when inserting figure floats
    By roli in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 10:20 AM
  3. Knoppix 3.3 hangs inserting a PCMCIA Compact Flash
    By amontefusco in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 09:46 AM
  4. inserting scripts during startup
    By pankajgadhari in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 10:09 PM
  5. Remasting from damn small linux
    By firepunk in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-09-2003, 04:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

$124.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$329.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50