I just got done installing Knoppix onto my harddrive, and now I dont have Icons for my primary harddrive, or my other partition, or my external harddrive. How do I get the Icons back like they were when I had knoppix just off the C.D?
I just got done installing Knoppix onto my harddrive, and now I dont have Icons for my primary harddrive, or my other partition, or my external harddrive. How do I get the Icons back like they were when I had knoppix just off the C.D?
Yeah this is one of the quircks of the installer right now. Maybe the new one will fix it. But you can get them back.
The entries for your drives should have been written to /etc/fstab, but they will have been commented out.
Open /etc/fstab in any text editor (as root) and remove the #'s in front of the relevant drives/partitions.
Then right click on your desktop, chose "Create New", "Hard Drive".
Then once you have the Icon on your desktop, right click it and choose properties. Then click on the device tab and select the proper device from the pull down menu.
If you have any questions/problem, post back here and post the contents of /etc/fstab.
This is what my fstab looks like. I did a fresh install so I only have one partition on the harddrive. So... I just take the Number symbol out of one of theese to get my usb harddrive working right? And I also have a second C.D Rom/Burner in my system that is not mounted either, wich one do I undo for that one also?
I'm holding off on experementing, I'm too sacred something might break.
thanks for your help!
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# partitions found by Knoppix
#/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext2 noauto,users,exec 0 0
#/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
I uncommented the last two sentances and I went to add new harddrive, and it doesnt work. I used all of the options that it opened up, and all of them say that the directory doesn't exist. If I remember correctly the name for my external harddrive while I was using knoppix was sda1 err something like that... I don't know if that helped.
headaces!!!!!
by the way it is a Buslink 80 gig 7200rpm usb 2.0/1394 external harddrive. and the other device that I want to install is a generic 48/24/28 cdrw.
Ok I thought you had these devices pluged into your system when you did your install, but it sounds like they may not have been. If they were, then commented out entries should have been created in your fstab.
Since I take it you don't want to do another install... just follow the instructions by Fabianx at the following post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2230
Feel free to post back if you have problems/questions.
![]()
Heh, I think that I need to completelz reßinstall everzthing. Mz kezs are all messed up!!!!!
sooo, what would be the best waz to do everzintg when all zou have is a knoppix c.d_
I have 2 Cd rom devices and mz external drive... also should I set up more than just a primarz and a swap partition_
thanks for all of zour help![]()
If you are having language keyboard problems, I would recommend two things. You can try running kpersonalizer and seeing if that will help fix these issues. Also there should be a national flag of some sort in the lower right hand corner of you KDE desktop. Right click it and adjust your keyboard layout scheme. You can probably fix things this way.
As far as the hd install scheme goes, you can create more than one partition for say /home or /etc, but you don't have to. If you are just getting used to linux I would suggest putting everything on / for now, and later you can adjust things if you want. Stephen did a nice howto about how to put /home on a different partition. It's in the docs section if you want to look it it.
Hope this helps.

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120
$69.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$155.00
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$949.00
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73