Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: ifconfig or netcardconfig dhcp syntax

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    10

    ifconfig or netcardconfig dhcp syntax

    Is it possible to invoke dhcp with an argument to ifconfig like:

    ifconfig eth0 dhcp

    or is it possible to have netcardconfig automatically invoke dhcp broadcast without promting for it?

    what I,m trying to do is append a couple of commands to knoppix.sh on my hard drive so that my network card will work.

    right now I have:

    modprobe 8139too
    netcardconfig

    Netcard config prompts for dhcp broadcast (yes). I want to just type

    knoppix myconfig=scan

    and have everything ready after initializations.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Try this:

    pump -i eth0

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    10
    Does the trick, thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Try this:

    pump -i eth0
    Wonderful! This is the exact same situation I am in, and was looking for a cure for.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Right now I'm using CAT5 into my internal nic on my laptop.

    If I want to take down dhcp, do I do the following?

    Code:
    pump -i eth0 ifdown
    I tried it and it did not work.

    thanks

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by JockVSJock
    Right now I'm using CAT5 into my internal nic on my laptop.

    If I want to take down dhcp, do I do the following?

    Code:
    pump -i eth0 ifdown
    I tried it and it did not work.

    thanks
    Try ifdown eth0.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    [

    Try ifdown eth0.
    Tried that...didn't work

    See output below...

    Code:
    root@Probot:~# ifdown eth0
    ifdown: interface eth0 not configured

Similar Threads

  1. ifconfig says yes ping says no
    By masticate in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 08:45 AM
  2. Configuring Syntax USB-400 wireless lan adapter
    By ramesh in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 02:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 03:28 AM
  4. ipconfig = ifconfig, ok. /release = ???
    By xave in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 07:47 AM
  5. Cheap code syntax
    By boehmb in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2003, 05:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$125.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Maxed HP MicroServer Gen8 3.5GHz Xeon E3-1270 V2 16GB RAM 40TB RAID 1TB SSD NAS picture

Maxed HP MicroServer Gen8 3.5GHz Xeon E3-1270 V2 16GB RAM 40TB RAID 1TB SSD NAS

$1499.00



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



10G PCIe Ethernet Adapter AQC113 10GBase-T RJ45 NIC for Windows Linux NAS Server picture

10G PCIe Ethernet Adapter AQC113 10GBase-T RJ45 NIC for Windows Linux NAS Server

$49.29



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Multi-Boot Linux & Utility 18 in 1 USB – Best of 2026 Free Same-Day Shipping picture

Multi-Boot Linux & Utility 18 in 1 USB – Best of 2026 Free Same-Day Shipping

$22.99