-
Knoppix 8.1 flash persistent image seems really slow
Hi all,
I was working with a flash install of knoppix and it seems really slow, much slower than I would expect.
so I run a command like dpkg on knoppix running without any persistent image (just using the ram of the system) and it goes instantly.
Code:
time sudo dpkg -i mame_0.186-dmo1_i386.deb mame-data_0.186-dmo1_all.deb
Selecting previously unselected package mame.
(Reading database ... 449729 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../mame_0.186-dmo1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking mame (1:0.186-dmo1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package mame-data.
Preparing to unpack .../mame-data_0.186-dmo1_all.deb ...
Unpacking mame-data (1:0.186-dmo1) ...
Setting up mame-data (1:0.186-dmo1) ...
Setting up mame (1:0.186-dmo1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.47+b1) ...
real 0m13.315s
user 0m6.271s
sys 0m5.182s
If I run with a persistent hard drive image, I get snappy results also.
However, when I use a flash drive it's a different story.
Running the same command under a persistent flash drive it takes forever...
Code:
time sudo dpkg -i mame-data_0.189+dfsg.1-1_all.deb mame_0.189+dfsg.1-1_i386.deb
Selecting previously unselected package mame-data.
(Reading database ... 449729 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../mame-data_0.189+dfsg.1-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking mame-data (0.189+dfsg.1-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package mame.
Preparing to unpack .../mame_0.189+dfsg.1-1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking mame (0.189+dfsg.1-1) ...
Setting up mame-data (0.189+dfsg.1-1) ...
Setting up mame (0.189+dfsg.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-2) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-9) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
real 6m23.851s
user 0m8.202s
sys 0m6.430s
Why is flash so slow? I wouldn't expect it to take multiple minutes to do these things. 6 minutes seems like an eternity.
Is it because it wants to journalize everything with reiserfs?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

HP EliteBook 830 G8 Core I7-1185G7 3.00GHz Laptop 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD
$250.00

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Lenovo ThinkStation P520 Intel Xeon W-2245 8-Core 3.90GHz - NO RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$359.98