Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: fread input/output error

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4

    fread input/output error

    I have succesfully run Knoppix on my desktop computer, I would also like to run it on my (old) laptop - IBM 380xd (p266 with 96mb RAM), I succesfully ran it a couple of times and it created a swapfile and config file on my hard disk which I was happy with.
    I dont think I have done anything different but now when I boot from the knoppix CD it gets to detecting my mouse, seems to stop and then shows 'fread input/output error'.
    Booting continues but crashes after detecting system settings on the splash screen, it then shows a blank screen with a mouse pointer (which works) and I have to reboot.
    I thought it was a problem with the config file or swapfile but I have deleted those and still get the same error.

    Can anyone help?

    TIA Mike

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Boot like this:

    boot: knoppix 2

    run cfdisk, make a new swap partition yourself, then startx or just reboot the Knoppix disc. Knoppix should recognize the swap partition and use it.

    If you can't boot knoppix 2 then....

    Get Tom's root boot.
    Boot with it. Run fdisk, make your own swap partition and format it for swap. Then reboot with Knoppix. That should work.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4

    fread magic input output error

    Still get the same problem, the swap file is reported as being created ok, but still crashes with the above error.
    I still have no idea what the error means but I think part of the problem MAY be that it is booting at too high a resolution (1024x76 which is not supported by my laptop.
    I am exasperated though - booting from a cd which has not changed however it did work fine and yet now appears broken - I would have thought that impossible!

    Mike

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    The cd didn't change- something on the hdd did. What- I dunno. So you made a swap partition yourself right- I don't mean "let Knoppix do it" but make one first THEN try to boot knoppix. If it's trying the wrong secreen then use the screen parameter:

    screen=800x600

    in your string of cheat codes.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4

    fread magic input/output error

    I did 'let knoppix do it' - mainly because I dont know how to make my own swap partition!
    I'll search this site to see if there is a description of how to do it, if it means doing something destructive to Windows which is already on the drive then I will not be doing it - the fdisk suggestion seems to be 'destructive'.

    Thanks - Mike

    PS Does anyone know what the error message means - or is it DEFINITELY the swap partition?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4

    fread input/output error

    Oops!
    Turns out the highly technical 'fault' was a dirty CD

    Thanks very much for all your help - I'm back up and running now

    Mike

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1
    Hi,

    Mike; I'm glad you found teh solution to your problem.

    My PC behaves the same way, and a new knoppix CD did not help...

    In addition; on hd I have multiple boot options:

    booting w2k: it stalls at approx 3/4 of the progress bar, switching on /sos in boot.ini only displays ammount of memory.

    booting redhat: it stalls when the X-server grid comes up.

    knoppix: level2 and level3 are ok, but if I start the X-server it hangs. In textmode I can mount the hard drives, so at least I can see that the I expect to be there are there, altough I can't really tell since I'm no computer wizard...

    A hint anyone? I'm getting depserate after having tried to troubleshoot a few weeks now.

    later...
    /F

Similar Threads

  1. ntfs_mount failed:input/output error
    By cobra1122 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 08:17 PM
  2. bash: /usr/bin/sudo: Input/output error
    By downdogWoof in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 05:27 AM
  3. Input/Output Errors?
    By dark_mage in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 01:29 AM
  4. knoppix-installer input/output errors
    By apoth in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 01:06 AM
  5. input output error during install
    By Penumbral in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 07:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16

Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16" A1000 Win 11 Pro: Good

$649.00



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00