I have a slight problem: my girlfriends computer has been dual booting between Knoppix and WinXP. However some time ago the windows kernel died while patching the system. I can still get to all the files on hda1 (where the XP was installed) from linux, but it cannot be booted. I do not think that there is any way of repairing it, and that is where the problem comes: if I have understood it correctly, re-installing windows will rewrite the mbr and prevent booting into linux.

So the questions is there a way to install XP so that it will allow booting into Knoppix directly, or a way of "fixing" the mbr after the installation? There's quite a lot of data that should be saved and the easiest way would be to just transfer it to the linux partitions and re-transfer it after the installation (there are 2 fat32 partitions for linux-windows interaction on the hd), not to mention that there's quite enough to do configuring and patching the windows side of things.

Any advice?