-
Senior Member
registered user
I just did a dual boot HD install on an XP machine with two HDs. As someone suggested in another thread, my goal was to keep the C: drive (NTFS) as-is, and partition the other (G: ) drive for the Linux installation. I really, really tried to leave the C: drive MBR alone, with the idea of booting LILO or GRUB off the G: drive (after changing the boot order in BIOS), but somehow the step-by-step of the installation program erroneously assumed without asking that I wanted to d*ck around with the booting on C: . During the installation process, I noticed a menu item that said boot to hda1, and I quick changed it to hdb1 before I exited the program, but it apparently had already messed up the MBR on C:.
As a result, on reboot, I got about five rows of "99999999999999999999" on my boot screen, along with a request to insert a boot disk. I restarted and selected the BIOS setup, and changed the HD boot order to boot off of G:, as I originally intended. So, now I'm in dual boot heaven, and all works well, but I'm afraid that if I ever remove the G: drive from my system, I'll be stuck with booting from floppy. So, to fix my C: drive MBR, since I'm still able to boot, it sounds like I need to do one of the following:
1. Type sys C: from a DOS prompt
2. Typex fixmbr at a DOS prompt
3. Type fdisk /mbr at a DOS prompt
4. Type fixboot at a DOS prompt
Any recommendations as to which would be best, in the case of my XP NTFS disk?
Similar Threads
-
By dresac in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 05-26-2004, 01:38 AM
-
By Mogiin in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-26-2003, 07:33 PM
-
By senorian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-20-2003, 03:38 PM
-
By douglas2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-11-2003, 03:15 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00
$279.00

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00