Quote Originally Posted by joe_bfstplk

Here's the scenario:

I have three HDDs:
one (27G, 7200RPM) for W2k (the first)

one for data storage (60G, 7200RPM) and swap files (four partitions--W2k swap, data 1, data 2, Linux swap),
1) Point the intaller to your exisitng Linux swap (it should find it on its own however).
2)If you want data1 & data2 partitions mounted automatically on boot simply edit /etc/fstab AFTER the install as there in no capacity for this as of yet.

one for Linux (10G, 5400RPM--the original HDD from the computer that preceded this one...) with '/boot' (generously allocated 100MB ), '/', and '/home' partitions formatted ext3, and a 750k vfat partition specifically for compiling files while preparing CDs for burning
/boot is unnecessary but doesn't hurt anything. Just realize that if you want your kernel on its own partition you'll have to move it yourself. I would advise against it.

I'm hoping I can keep the Linux partitions as they are, empty them (I've backed up the /home to the W2k "G:" (data 2) partition), and install Knoppix in them.
Just reformat your existing partitions. For ext3:
mke2fs -j /dev/hdx?
What size are / and /home? That will be the determining factor. Realize however that the installer is incapable of installing to multiple partitions without a bit of editing on the part of the user. Fear not as it's quite simple to do:

Does the Knoppix install routine 'knx-hdinstall' offer GRUB as an option (the McNab article suggests using it, which I'm happy to do, as I'm used to it, but fails to mention if it's part of the normal knx-hdinstall setup or something I'd have to kludge on later), and will it freak out over the fact that the MBR on the first HDD (I installed Windows first and Linux second, so GRUB is on the first HDD) is already GRUB-ed and working quite well as dual-boot?
1)Simply intall lilo to /root and not mbr. Then just edit menu.lst so that it points to your kernel.
2)Don't use knx-hdinstall. Use knoppix-installer instead.
3)Better yet, get Kanotix It is built w/ sid and makes for a great install cd. Knoppix is really more of a live cd. The installer was created at the request of the users AFAIK.

Boot Kanotix.Make your partitions. Format them as ext3 (or whatever you like). Currently the installer can only format /root. Start the installer:

1)sudo kanotix-installer
2)Configure
3)Quit.
4)Save config? YES
5)sudo xedit /root/.knofig
6)Edit HD_MAP=""
(example)
7) HD_MAP="/dev/hda3:/home /dev/hda6:/tmp /dev/hda7:/var /dev/hda14:/usr"
Save
9)sudo kanotix-installer
Review your configuration.
10) In another terminal: mount

You should see your partitions mounted on their respective mount points.
You do not have to move all directories listed in my example to other partitions. Selecting / and /home is suficient. Make sure that / is at least 2G. I'd recommend larger.

Perhaps moving this to its own thread would also get you more visibility.

PS:to richenbacherus--
you play guitar? hang out at ampage.org or the yahoo strat, rigtips, or tubefex groups? your handle sounds familiar....
Yes I play- quite poorly at that.