-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Replacing existing RH9 in GRUB dual boot (w/ W2k) w/Knop

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
1) Point the intaller to your exisitng Linux swap (it should find it on its own however).
2)If you want data1 & data2 partitions mounted automatically on boot simply edit /etc/fstab AFTER the install as there in no capacity for this as of yet.
Thanks! This worked out pretty well, although the installer had to be told which physical drive to look on, it found the existing swap once I'd done so.
/boot is unnecessary but doesn't hurt anything. Just realize that if you want your kernel on its own partition you'll have to move it yourself. I would advise against it.
I ended up doing exactly as you advise--nixing the /boot. I didn't feel comfortable with moving the Kernel around and such. I stumbled across, er..., found (yeah, that's the ticket) a thread started by jdong also that provided a step-by-step for getting the bootloader set up, which was my main problem after installing. I could see and boot into Win2k, but not into Knoppix.
What size are / and /home? That will be the determining factor. Realize however that the installer is incapable of installing to multiple partitions without a bit of editing on the part of the user. Fear not as it's quite simple to do:
1)Simply intall lilo to /root and not mbr.
That's what I did the last time, after trying and failing with LILO in the MBR (it didn't even show up on the MBR--maybe it put it in the MBR of hd2?). Then I followed (sort-of) jdong's instructions about the boot.ini file in Win2k to get it to boot. My / is about 4.2G, and /CD_PREP is about 750M, leaving 5G for /home. I need to make an ext3 file system on the new /home partition, as I've not done that yet, but then I'll be transferring all the home directories to that partition and wiping out the standard knoppix user in favor of my own account....
Perhaps moving this to its own thread would also get you more visibility.
I think that's a good idea, as it may help someone else in a similar situation (already set up for dual-boot, switching from another distro, etc.). I'll try to get that going tomorrow, after I get done with setup here and installing my new DVD-R/RW drive.... javascript:emoticon('
')
Yes I play- quite poorly at that.
Don't knock yourself, a lot of famous players aren't "all that" either. If you have fun doing it and small furry animals don't spontaneously die upon hearing you play, it's cool. Drop on over to ampage.org if you have any amp/gear related questions. It's a great resource. I hang out there a lot, as I like to build tube amps.... I also enjoy the irony of using advanced technological means (such as computer and internet) to communicate about vacuum tubes.... javascript:emoticon('
')
Thanks again!
C ya,
Dutch
Similar Threads
-
By dresac in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 05-26-2004, 01:38 AM
-
By Mogiin in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-26-2003, 07:33 PM
-
By senorian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-20-2003, 03:38 PM
-
By douglas2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-11-2003, 03:15 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)
$39.00

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99