-
Senior Member
registered user
With the new v3.4 of Knoppix, I was seriously looking at changing my "one partition" hdd install, into a more, appropriate, multi-partition install....
Examining the "scheme" that Rickenbacherus has suggested, I come up with the following:
hda1 - primary, bootable, ext2 FS, and of 50 MB in size.
hda2 - primary, reiser FS, and of "remaining" device size - in the example, 20 gb, or 19.95 gb.
hda2 is then broken down into chunks like so...
***** logical, reiser FS, 3 gb - for use by /root
***** logical, swap, 500 mb - for use as swap
***** logical, reiser FS, 1.5 gb - for use as /home
First, assuming the example hard drive device was a 20 gb hard drive, where does the extra space go???? ( did I miss something somewhere? ) I only count a device usage of 5.05 gb...
Is the excess "free" space on the /hda2 device intended for adding more users? ( each of them getting the approximate 1.5 gb as well? )
Second, considering I have a 41 gb hard drive, in the "current" scheme:
/hda1 - 39.5 gb in ext3 FS - for Knoppix (everything)
/hda3 - 500 mb for swap.
Could I just break up my /hda1 into two primary partitions, one as /hda1, the other as /hda2, and then forgo the swap within my /hda2 as in the above suggestion? ( since I already have the swap on the /hda3 in my current scheme )
Third, concerning the sizes suggested:
*** 1 ) is 3 gb enough for the root user, or should I bump considering I have a 41 gb hard drive.
*** 2 ) is the 1.5 gb intended for "all" users, or do you break the users /home areas off from the /home to a seperate partition. Also, should I bump the size, as in the /root above, due to having a larger drive than in the example?
*** 3 ) should I use the ext3 or the reiser for my file system? I have a 41 gb device, broken down to 39.5 gb for Knoppix, and .5 gb for swap - in ext3 - and even though I know the ext3 partition is 39.5 gb, KDiskFree only reports 37.3 gb - is this a "overhead" for using ext3, or is it just normal to not get 3.2 gb from your device in Knoppix????
I want to be able to go to this multi-partition scheme with the new kernel 2.6 install, since I usually have to "gut" my system everytime I need to upgrade, and this multi-partition scheme seems to me, to keep the /home data from having to be re-created when you need to do a new hdd install...
Thanks for any, and all, advice on this,
Ms. Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By dresac in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 05-26-2004, 01:38 AM
-
By Mogiin in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-26-2003, 07:33 PM
-
By senorian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-20-2003, 03:38 PM
-
By douglas2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-11-2003, 03:15 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

Glyph StudioRAID 28TB External RAID Hard Drive Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 7200RPM
$300.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 4-Bay RAID Enclosure + SATA 1394 -USB 2.0 (8TB)
$180.00

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00