Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: URGENT ASSISTANCE REQUIRED - Partition Failure

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7

    URGENT ASSISTANCE REQUIRED - Partition Failure

    Hi All,

    I have a laptop with a 40Gb (NTFS) hard disk running WinXP Pro. I run Partition Magic 7. I setup the following procedure.

    1. Resize partition to 20Gb
    2. Create a LinuxSwap partition of 256Mb
    3. Create a Ext2 (3 wasn't avaliable) out of the remaining space.

    I rebooted and it started the procedure in dos. Part of the way though it reported an error (112 i think) which was a bad sector. I press a key to restart and now all I get is the command prompt for me to select either "start windows normally", "safe mode" or "Last known good configuration". All of which cause the machine to restart and I am presented with the options again.

    I have booted of my Knoppix CD and can still see my data on the harddisk. I am at work tomorrow and will try copying data though Knoppix to the server but I am not hopeful.

    Can anyone please advice me on what I can do. Also, I really need an idiots guide on creating the partitions using Knoppix's partition program so that if the data is transferred I can build the partitions and dual boot Knoppix (2 partitions totaling 20Gb) and WinXP (the other 20Gb).

    Please help!
    Many Thanks
    Chris

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Just put this up about 15 minutes ago.

    Hmmmmm- twice in one day I read about Partition magic borking a hard drive!?!? That's very interesting- and to think people actually PAY for that program. Thankfully qtparted is free!

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16
    I had a similar problem the first time I tried to use partition magic for my xp pro laptop and know of a couple of people too. its begining to sound like a pattern to me. This is what I did:

    I first booted with a floppy disk with harddisk recovery program on it, then run a chdisk and found out that all my files are intact. From there, I tried booting from an xp pro cd and that got me to some form of system recovery program which requested for administrators password. Now this is the bizare part, I ditched the process and restarted my computer, then partition magic asked to proceed, I said no and got my computer life back.

    I don't know if this will be helpful but I hope it can give you an idea where to start.
    Best

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NORTH EAST ENGLAND
    Posts
    38
    You could try gpart it is on knoppix. Open a terminal and type it in. A google search will find several pages of info. Should be worth a try. Jimmy

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7
    Papasi,

    That sounds like the easiest way to go. I can boot of the Knoppix CD and see that all my files are still intact. I'm off to hunt for a XP cd now.

    ATOB

    p.s. Hard Drive size seems a little small though .... hmmmm

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7
    Just hard to repartition and format the drive. All my data lost

    ATOB

Similar Threads

  1. Need assistance with HP Pavilion ze4805wm
    By Aumaan in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 12:44 AM
  2. hard drive partition required to run knoppix w/o live-cd?
    By ishaim in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 10:01 AM
  3. Need assistance with a project
    By Rachel Sykes in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 02:11 PM
  4. need some assistance om documentation in detail
    By Adeel in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 05:23 AM
  5. FTP server assistance
    By lando1030 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 12:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA picture

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA

$325.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND

$179.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00