Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: A Nice DV Editor

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    A Nice DV Editor

    Well here is my second multimedia top for the day. I recently saw a reference to a DV edting tool called Kino. I did an "apt-get install kino/unstable." The program runs fine and looks pretty nice. Of course now all i need is about $1,000 (or more) for a nice DV camera!!! But nice to see that there are cool open source apps to do work like this.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington Washington USA
    Posts
    7
    I did an "apt-get install kino/unstable."

    Thank you, thank you. This was just the hint I needed to get the latest version of Kino 0.6.4 loaded onto my 06-27-2003 version of Knoppix 3.2.
    I kept trying the " apt-get install kino" command but reported back that the latest version of Kino 0.6.0 was installed. Did not know about telling apt-get to install the "unstable" newer 0.6.4 version.

    I still need to play with Kino, but I could now play AVI files and download from my Canon GL1 camera a few clips, that were automatically separated into several clips. I put the clips together to make a test video.
    I had fun, using Knoppix and my Video Camera. Will next try to export to MPEG files to make either a VCD or an SVCD to burn and play in my DVD player.

    Fred Finster

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by WB7ODYFred
    I did an "apt-get install kino/unstable."

    Thank you, thank you. This was just the hint I needed to get the latest version of Kino 0.6.4 loaded onto my 06-27-2003 version of Knoppix 3.2.
    I kept trying the " apt-get install kino" command but reported back that the latest version of Kino 0.6.0 was installed. Did not know about telling apt-get to install the "unstable" newer 0.6.4 version.

    I still need to play with Kino, but I could now play AVI files and download from my Canon GL1 camera a few clips, that were automatically separated into several clips. I put the clips together to make a test video.
    I had fun, using Knoppix and my Video Camera. Will next try to export to MPEG files to make either a VCD or an SVCD to burn and play in my DVD player.

    Fred Finster
    Hey I'm glad it works. I still don't have a DV cam but I'm glad someone is able to make good use of Kino.

    Re the /unstable trick. There is another version of this that comes in handy too. Sometimes /unstable solves the dependency problems, but sometimes not. When that doesn't work, I've found that most dependency problems can be solved like this:

    Code:
    apt-get install -t unstable kino
    /unstable will get only the application from unstable
    -t unstable will get the application and all dependencies to make that application work from unstable.

    Take care.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sylmar, CA
    Posts
    3
    Check this camera out. DCR-TRV350. That is what I am saving up for.
    I'm getting my machine ready for video editing. I added a used drive and moved /var to it and the BIOS now says that there is a imminant problem with the drive. I tried to move /var to another directory and forgot about editing fstab. So now I need to use Knoppix to move and fix this problem.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Easton, PA
    Posts
    4
    [quote="batteryman"]Check this camera out. DCR-TRV350. That is what I am saving up for.
    quote]

    Try to get a mini-DV camera. It's the new standard and should be around for at least a while. Digital 8 is on the way out.
    I just picked up the Canon ZR60 from here for $330:
    http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=ZR60

    It uses mini-DV tapes, has an 18X optical zoom and a built in encoder for those old home videos you might want to burn to dvd.

    I'm starting to get into the whole video editing, authoring, burning deal. My wife is due to give birth any day now with our fist child.
    I've been wanting to get into digital video so here's the excuse I was looking for. I got the firewire card installed, recompiled the kernel and installed kino. FYI, a new version of kino (v.7) came out a couple of days ago. Also k3b now supports dvd burning in the latest release. Just waiting for them to hit the 'unstable' package repository.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel_Tufnel
    Also k3b now supports dvd burning in the latest release. Just waiting for them to hit the 'unstable' package repository.
    You can use this in your sources.list:

    Code:
    ## K3b sources for sarge requires KDE > 3.1.2 from SID
    deb http://www.planet-moll.de/debian sarge main
    To get it now the install will fail because it cannot overwrite a file you would just cd /var/cache/apt/archives and then dpkg -i --force-overwrite k3b_0.10-1_i386.deb and it will install and work.

Similar Threads

  1. [PHP] Which editor do you use?
    By Coume in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 09:27 PM
  2. ne - nice text editor
    By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 03:39 PM
  3. C++ Editor?
    By Mr. Chopper in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 10:56 AM
  4. FTE Console Text Editor
    By zz9pluralzalpha in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 09:36 PM
  5. ISOs and hex-editor
    By oscar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lof ot 2 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 2Rx8 SODIMM RAM HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK picture

Lof ot 2 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 2Rx8 SODIMM RAM HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK

$334.99



Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS picture

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS

$1450.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



LOT OF 2 ~ 32GB Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q DDR4 RDIMM ECC Server Memory picture

LOT OF 2 ~ 32GB Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q DDR4 RDIMM ECC Server Memory

$319.00