Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: installing a nic driver

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13

    installing a nic driver

    I decided to remasater the Knoppix iso in order to include the broadcom 44xx nic driver that lots of mobos have integrated.
    After some pitfalls that have been overcomed with the help of people on this list , I managed last night to burn the ISO cd but it seems that it's identical to the original????
    So I need you to help me find out what I did wrong.
    Everything went according to instractions and I installed the driver that I previouslly d/l from debian site by going into MC to dir that had the deb and pressing install (maybe that was wrong and I sould use apt-get <> install ?) . rest of the procedure went fine and finally I burned the iso.
    When i used the new iso to start knoppix again it did not recognize my card , neither when i used setnetwork card.Do i have to change anything else in the config files or just installing the driver should be enough?
    Thanx in advance Tassos

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: installing a nic driver

    Quote Originally Posted by cybervet
    I installed the driver that I previouslly d/l from debian site by going into MC to dir that had the deb and pressing install (maybe that was wrong and I sould use apt-get <> install ?)
    I can't really be of much assistance on the customization but it is just fine that you installed your .deb with mc. I do it all the time- it works great.

    Very cool that you're trying to make a remaster w/ the Broadcom NIC- I imagine alot of people will want it. gluck

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13

    .deb is the problem?

    Ok the driver for the 10/100 broadcom is in debian site under the /pool, and is the file :
    bcm4400-source_1.0.1-1_all.deb
    Is this a source or a binary?
    I tried apt-get install , no result (can't find the /pool)
    same for the apt-get source
    I d/l the .deb to my local hd
    I tried in the root console MC and install from the directory but for some uknown reason I have the feeling that it was not installed.
    Ok i can use some help here, how can I install this .deb?
    Note that in the debian directory together with it are the 2 other files that usally go with the source pkgs.
    Any help will be gratelly apreciated
    Tassos

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Piraeus / Hellas
    Posts
    121
    Sorry I am a little bit out of the subject but cybervet (Tassos) where are you from ???


    Best Regards
    Mike Kranidis

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13

    elada-leladara

    Greece

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    to check if package is installed to sth like:

    dpkg -l | grep bcm


    but you've already answered your question - you're installing a source deb package. It's in source because license probably prohibits it from being distributed in binary form..

    There is a way to build a binary package from it but I can't think of it now..

    try:

    dpkg -b <package name>

    or..

    apt-get --build install <package name>

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13

    SUCCESS

    And yes after 4 days and 3CDRs I managed to remaster the Knoppix and now it includes The broadcom driver.............Yes yEs yes.........
    Isn't Linux great????
    Thanks for everyone that took the time to help me out.
    Tassos

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Can you just install the driver as you normally would, even if you're not using a motherboard that uses that NIC? I'd like to make my remaster capable of using the broadcom driver and nforce2 driver.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13

    nic

    Yes you can I made the remastering in a PIII using a realteac Nic and then I tested the cd in my AMD with the broadcom Nic.
    Worked fine , autoconfig detect the driver and had the DHCP net up in notime.
    Tassos

Similar Threads

  1. Installing Driver for DWL-520+
    By timepilot in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 07:46 PM
  2. installing driver wrong kernel?
    By tonycooles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 06:21 PM
  3. Need help installing Nvidia display driver
    By weedje in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 01:11 AM
  4. Nforce 2 driver/USB driver
    By gecco in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 02:06 PM
  5. [driver probbs] - Intel PRO/wireless 2110 pcmcia driver.
    By MeglaW in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2003, 04:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM picture

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM

$499.99



SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz picture

Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz

$87.00



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Kingston Fury Beast 32GB(2 x 16GB) KF552C36BBEA-16 DDR5 5200MHz RAM - R1031A picture

Kingston Fury Beast 32GB(2 x 16GB) KF552C36BBEA-16 DDR5 5200MHz RAM - R1031A

$299.95



(4x32GB) Hynix DDR4 3200 MHz PC4 2Rx8 DIMM Desktop Memory RAM HMAA4GU6AJR8N-XN picture

(4x32GB) Hynix DDR4 3200 MHz PC4 2Rx8 DIMM Desktop Memory RAM HMAA4GU6AJR8N-XN

$925.00



SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 Laptop RAM PC4-2400T 2400MHz SO-DIMM 2Rx8 HMA82GS6AFR8N-UH picture

SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 Laptop RAM PC4-2400T 2400MHz SO-DIMM 2Rx8 HMA82GS6AFR8N-UH

$95.00



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



Kingston (HyperX Fury ) DDR4 64gb 4x16 2933 MHz (PC4-23400) picture

Kingston (HyperX Fury ) DDR4 64gb 4x16 2933 MHz (PC4-23400)

$375.00