Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: /dev/modem unavailable after built a CDROM...HELP

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1

    /dev/modem unavailable after built a CDROM...HELP

    I have setup a modem in Chroot.
    I can using it and find out /dev/modem in the Chroot.
    But I find that after the CDROM has been create, the /dev/modem filesystem can not be find out.
    I have no idea about this.
    Need somebody help!
    ThankS!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    It is a good idea to use the "knoppix file you remastered in a "poor man's install in order to test it. you can also compare it with the "source" file that is the files that you used to chroot. This way it would be easier for you to see what is missing.

    /dev/modem should always be there by default unless by accident you deleted it while chroot'd. I have it in all distros I tried out. If you are talking about the link of the modem then that is a different thing. You have to do 'ln' after log-in,aty least this is the way I do it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9
    I have the same question.In fact,the /dev/modem is just a link, it can be found at /KNOPPIX/dev/modem. But this does work while dial up in a cd boot system.
    In general,my question is how to add in a modem driver and remaster the cd in order to support my computer with the modem without reinstall the driver and reconfig.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    I have tried that idea-doing the modem install while chroot'd but whenever you logout the installed modem somehow gets uninstalled.I think its got something to do with the kernel.
    I am not a linux expert so I cannot explain this .

    I will try some different route next time.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9
    i'm really in puzzle....
    the driver is there but the config file generated in chroot'd does not work.
    and i can't reconfig the modem with command "hsfconfig" because some dir like "dev/hsf/..." is read-only.

    who can help?
    some reason i guess,while the system boot up,i saw some words "pci device resourses collision" on the screen. i do not know why. and in fact there is only one pci device - the modem on the pci 0. it is ok in the hdd-install system on the same computer. i'm really in puzzle...

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    What modem-and I think it is a winmodem,do you have?

    I have installed my winmodem during remaster but since it is a winmodem it will not be automatically detected by knoppix. It has to be insmod'd evrytime I start knoppix. For this reason there is no point in actually installing the driver. I can have the driver in my home directory and insmod it by using a script.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9
    yes,it does be a winmodem
    will u show me the details?
    thx

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9
    my modem work now...........
    /dev/modem is useless at all
    it's all because the /etc/hsf is "Read-only"

    Now i have write a script to cr another ramdisk as /dev/hsf and modem works well under the new CD system.

Similar Threads

  1. cloop-Kernel-Built-in
    By Matthias in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 08:12 AM
  2. Anyone built a Knoppix cluster?
    By UselessPython in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 06:38 AM
  3. xchat unavailable V3.2-2003-09-05
    By JoDaY in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 04:01 PM
  4. Built in AGP but want to run off of PCI card
    By jclochesy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2003, 06:10 PM
  5. knoppix cdrom boot fails on some cdrom players
    By Koga in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$125.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New picture

Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New

$185.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS β€” Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS β€” Box + PSU

$649.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$299.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



Multi-Boot Linux & Utility 18 in 1 USB – Best of 2026 Free Same-Day Shipping picture

Multi-Boot Linux & Utility 18 in 1 USB – Best of 2026 Free Same-Day Shipping

$22.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99