-
How do I update kernel 3.3.7 to 4.7.9?
My system is Live Knoppix 7.0.2 and kernel 3.3.7 installed to hard disc.
Can I happily update kernel 3.3.7 to kernel 4.7.9, and if I do, will the rest of
my system carry on the same as before?
The reason I want to update the kernel is because I've bought a new Seagate 2Tb
usb hdd, and it won't work on my present system (it works fine in Windows 7).
My testing, failed fixes, and Internet trawling leads me to the conclusion that the kernel
probably contains a bug that is preventing the drive from working.
(The following link shows what the problem is:
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/323...340#post135340 )
The reason I want to update specifically to kernel 4.7.9 is because the Seagate
drive works OK with Live Knoppix 7.7 on usb memory stick, which has kernel
4.7.9.
My humble questions:
Please could you tell me what steps I carry out in order to update to kernel 4.7.9.
I'm out of my depth here, so could you spell out each step please.
Where do I get kernel 4.7.9 from?
Do I need to backup first?
Also, how do I revert to kernel 3.3.7 if I need to?
Last edited by winger9; 02-03-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Reason: added text
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD
$100.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73